|By Business Wire||
|May 1, 2014 09:08 AM EDT||
Actifio, the copy data virtualization company, today announced a significant expansion of its product portfolio dramatically increasing the scope and scale of its enterprise class data virtualization platform. The new offering will extend the functionality of Actifio CDS, making a virtual instance of the company’s Virtual Data Pipeline™ technology available wherever application data may reside, from the data center core to the public cloud.
The new product will be the first in a new family called “Actifio Sky™,” and marks a milestone for the company as it moves beyond its integrated appliance-only roots. Company executives took the occasion to describe the company’s full scope product vision – Actifio Anywhere – in more detail than has previously been revealed.
What Actifio Does
Today distributed enterprises are focused on improving resiliency, agility, and mobility toward cloud-based infrastructure, even as the sheer volume of data they need to manage is exploding. Actifio’s copy data virtualization platform solves these problems, replacing a complex tangle of siloed storage and data management systems – all creating copies of the same production data – with a single solution that lets customers:
1. Capture data from production applications according to an SLA that can be defined in just a few clicks and changed anytime,
2. Manage the lifecycle of that data in the most efficient way through the creation of a single “golden master” that can be stored anywhere and updated incrementally forever, and
3. Use that data to spin up an unlimited number of virtual copies for any use, anytime, anywhere.
Actifio virtualizes data as other technologies have virtualized compute and networking, decoupling management of increasingly strategic enterprise data from increasingly commoditized enterprise infrastructure. IDC estimates the worldwide market for products and services in this space, which it refers to as copy data management, at $46 Billion in 2014.
To support mid and large enterprises, Actifio has to date delivered this capability through the certified configuration and deployment of an integrated appliance, called Actifio CDS. Actifio CDS supports a complete range of platforms (VMware, Windows, Linux, AIX, HP-UX, AS/400, Unix, Solaris…), applications (SQL, Oracle, Exchange, Sharepoint, SAP, DB2…), and use cases (backup, snapshot, BC/DR, dev & test, compliance, analytics…) across all vertical industries, in 32 countries with over an exabyte of application data under management.
Actifio Sky is a new generation built on the foundation of the company’s Virtual Data Pipeline™ technology, now protected by an expanding portfolio of 36 in process or approved patents. It extends the power of copy data virtualization from the data center to the edge of the enterprise, and into the cloud.
Actifio Sky offers a new level of deployment flexibility and range, enabling seamless data management wherever the enterprise data is located to improve data protection, governance, and analytics. Sky will be offered first for Remote / Branch Offices (ROBOs,) and a Cloud deployment option for businesses looking to shift enterprise workloads into the cloud. Together with Actifio’s CDS data center appliance, Actifio Sky eliminates barriers to data mobility between the edge to the core, enabling transformational data management velocity and scale across the enterprise.
Built on VDP technology, Actifio Sky’s capabilities now include:
- Easy Download and Deploy with a consumer-grade UI delivering an intuitive, point-and-click data management delivering faster time to productivity
- Application-centric, SLA-based management for powerful remote data protection and disaster recovery for applications
- Rapid recovery from remote site failure, centrally, or into the cloud
- The ability to vault data directly to public cloud storage services including Amazon™ Web Services
- Patented Dedup-Async Replication™ for network-optimized data replication and space efficiency through Direct-to-DeDup storage
"Actifio Sky gives our customers another powerful capability to capture, manage and use their data for multiple use-cases wherever it is stored - in remote offices or in the cloud - for recovery or application development scenarios," said Abdul Altamimi, EVP RestorePoint. "As a leading provider of data protection and disaster recovery solutions, we're equally excited by the positive response of our users to our Actifio-powered services, as well as Actifio's continued platform innovation. This solution from Actifio perfectly supports our customers’ needs to address exponential data growth, increasingly complex regulatory requirements and an expanding network of remote and branch offices."
The company announced both deployment options of Actifio Sky in the context of a broader product vision than has previously been discussed.
“Actifio Sky is already giving our enterprise customers access to data sets they’d never been able to gather, analyze, and protect before, and simplifying the customer deployment model of our cloud service provider partners,” said Actifio Founder & CEO Ash Ashutosh.
“Enabling Actifio’s technology to run on a virtual appliance has been a key milestone in our platform vision right from the start. With the launch of this platform extension, we’re demonstrating the depth and breadth of our underlying technology, and taking an important step toward letting an even broader range of customers across every geography, vertical, and market segment tap the power of Actifio’s copy data virtualization model in whatever form makes the most sense for them… as a fully integrated appliance leveraging bundled, existing, or third-party storage; as a virtual appliance which can be deployed readily into the edge or the cloud; or as a cloud-based platform-as-a-service (PaaS,) available on demand and accessible through any device. We call this vision ‘Actifio Anywhere,’ and it points to the exciting range of Actifio products and services customers will see us introduce to the market over the coming months and years.”
For more information on Actifio Sky, visit: http://www.actifio.com/products/actifio-sky/
Supporting Quotes - Customers:
- “As an industry leader in disaster recovery and business continuity, we strive to work with the most innovative companies, like Actifio – a pioneer in copy data virtualization, to bring exceptional service to our customers,” commented Souvik Choudhury, vice president of Recovery Services product management at Sungard Availability Services. “Actifio provides our mutual customers with a way to free their data from underlying infrastructure with a compelling economic proposition. We look forward to introducing this new product to our portfolio, to help manage our customer’s data wherever it resides - on premise or in the cloud.”
- “At the core of our crowdsourcing innovation, virtual technology and operational efficiencies is data. The technology solutions that power our ability to access and present information to our call-center teams are mission critical to our business," said Martin Ingram, CIO Arise Virtual Solutions, "We are implementing Actifio Sky and are leveraging it together with our central Actifio CDS solution for better service levels at a lower cost than any other solution on the market today. This new innovation from Actifio further validates and extends our initial investment in copy data virtualization.”
- “Our experience with Actifio Sky has truly been remarkable. We were able to deploy it in less than an hour and began replicating the protected data back to our datacenter soon after,” said Randy Bagby, Sr. Systems Engineer, Triad Retail Media. “This gave us local access to remote data that we’d frankly never been able to quickly access before. Going forward it will enable us to improve our ability to not only protect but access this important data when and where we need it. The impact of that in our business will be significant.”
Supporting Quotes - Analysts:
- “Copy data virtualization represents a fundamental shift in approach to business agility and resiliency as IT professionals begin to think in terms of data management rather than ‘siloed’ backup/recovery, application dev/test, business-continuity, analytics, disaster-recovery and archiving operations,” said Dave Simpson, Senior Analyst at 451 Research. “Combining Actifio CDS’s proven ability with Actifio Sky’s rapid deployment at remote sites or in the cloud, users can now manage all their application data from a single platform, wherever application data may reside, transforming copy data from a liability into a strategic business advantage.”
- “As the amount of data managed by organizations continues to grow, the cost and complexity of copy-centric activities like backup and disaster recovery continues to rise,” said Steve Duplessie, Founder and Senior Analyst at ESG. “Actifio has hit upon the obvious solution - helping companies make fewer copies of data and maintain fewer silos. Now with Sky, it has eliminated any remaining barriers to data mobility, minimizing cost and complexity while delivering data copying, protection and restoration even as companies shift enterprise workloads into the cloud.”
- "Companies have to protect and manage their data as efficiently and effectively as possible in a new economy driven by requirements for 24/7 access. But in a quest to meet service-level objectives, generating multiple copies of primary data has become the norm for businesses, costing them roughly $46 billion in 2014 and consuming 65% of external storage systems capacity,” said Laura DuBois, Vice President at IDC. “Getting that spending under control while also maintaining business agility will be imperative for companies, and Actifio strikes at the root of this problem with Actifio Sky, offering a single platform for businesses to manage copies of data efficiently, maintaining service levels while creating significant cost savings. Whether apps live on-premise, at remote sites or in the cloud, Actifio’s customers now can easily capture, manage and use the data for multiple purposes while reducing cost and complexity."
Actifio delivers copy data virtualization to hundreds of global enterprise customers and service provider partners in more than 30 countries around the world. Our Virtual Data Pipeline™ technology decouples data from infrastructure, enabling dramatic improvements in business resiliency, agility, and access to the cloud. Actifio replaces siloed data management applications with a radically simple, application-centric, SLA-driven approach that lets customers capture data from production applications, manage it more economically, and use it when and where they need to. Actifio is headquartered just outside Boston, Massachusetts, and can be reached via the web (actifio.com,) Twitter (@actifio,) or email at [email protected].
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Nov. 26, 2015 09:00 AM EST Reads: 470
In his General Session at 17th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager for Adobe Campaign, explored the key ingredients of cross-channel marketing in a digital world. Learn how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects).
Nov. 26, 2015 08:45 AM EST Reads: 260
The Internet of Everything is re-shaping technology trends–moving away from “request/response” architecture to an “always-on” Streaming Web where data is in constant motion and secure, reliable communication is an absolute necessity. As more and more THINGS go online, the challenges that developers will need to address will only increase exponentially. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Todd Greene, Founder & CEO of PubNub, exploreed the current state of IoT connectivity and review key trends and technology requirements that will drive the Internet of Things from hype to reality.
Nov. 26, 2015 06:45 AM EST Reads: 391
Two weeks ago (November 3-5), I attended the Cloud Expo Silicon Valley as a speaker, where I presented on the security and privacy due diligence requirements for cloud solutions. Cloud security is a topical issue for every CIO, CISO, and technology buyer. Decision-makers are always looking for insights on how to mitigate the security risks of implementing and using cloud solutions. Based on the presentation topics covered at the conference, as well as the general discussions heard between sessions, I wanted to share some of my observations on emerging trends. As cyber security serves as a fou...
Nov. 26, 2015 06:15 AM EST Reads: 298
Continuous processes around the development and deployment of applications are both impacted by -- and a benefit to -- the Internet of Things trend. To help better understand the relationship between DevOps and a plethora of new end-devices and data please welcome Gary Gruver, consultant, author and a former IT executive who has led many large-scale IT transformation projects, and John Jeremiah, Technology Evangelist at Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE), on Twitter at @j_jeremiah. The discussion is moderated by me, Dana Gardner, Principal Analyst at Interarbor Solutions.
Nov. 26, 2015 03:45 AM EST Reads: 691
Too often with compelling new technologies market participants become overly enamored with that attractiveness of the technology and neglect underlying business drivers. This tendency, what some call the “newest shiny object syndrome” is understandable given that virtually all of us are heavily engaged in technology. But it is also mistaken. Without concrete business cases driving its deployment, IoT, like many other technologies before it, will fade into obscurity.
Nov. 26, 2015 03:00 AM EST Reads: 303
With all the incredible momentum behind the Internet of Things (IoT) industry, it is easy to forget that not a single CEO wakes up and wonders if “my IoT is broken.” What they wonder is if they are making the right decisions to do all they can to increase revenue, decrease costs, and improve customer experience – effectively the same challenges they have always had in growing their business. The exciting thing about the IoT industry is now these decisions can be better, faster, and smarter. Now all corporate assets – people, objects, and spaces – can share information about themselves and thei...
Nov. 26, 2015 02:00 AM EST Reads: 187
The Internet of Things is clearly many things: data collection and analytics, wearables, Smart Grids and Smart Cities, the Industrial Internet, and more. Cool platforms like Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Intel's Galileo and Edison, and a diverse world of sensors are making the IoT a great toy box for developers in all these areas. In this Power Panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists discussed what things are the most important, which will have the most profound effect on the world, and what should we expect to see over the next couple of years.
Nov. 26, 2015 01:30 AM EST Reads: 432
Growth hacking is common for startups to make unheard-of progress in building their business. Career Hacks can help Geek Girls and those who support them (yes, that's you too, Dad!) to excel in this typically male-dominated world. Get ready to learn the facts: Is there a bias against women in the tech / developer communities? Why are women 50% of the workforce, but hold only 24% of the STEM or IT positions? Some beginnings of what to do about it! In her Day 2 Keynote at 17th Cloud Expo, Sandy Carter, IBM General Manager Cloud Ecosystem and Developers, and a Social Business Evangelist, wil...
Nov. 26, 2015 12:00 AM EST Reads: 525
PubNub has announced the release of BLOCKS, a set of customizable microservices that give developers a simple way to add code and deploy features for realtime apps.PubNub BLOCKS executes business logic directly on the data streaming through PubNub’s network without splitting it off to an intermediary server controlled by the customer. This revolutionary approach streamlines app development, reduces endpoint-to-endpoint latency, and allows apps to better leverage the enormous scalability of PubNub’s Data Stream Network.
Nov. 26, 2015 12:00 AM EST Reads: 282
Discussions of cloud computing have evolved in recent years from a focus on specific types of cloud, to a world of hybrid cloud, and to a world dominated by the APIs that make today's multi-cloud environments and hybrid clouds possible. In this Power Panel at 17th Cloud Expo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists addressed the importance of customers being able to use the specific technologies they need, through environments and ecosystems that expose their APIs to make true change and transformation possible.
Nov. 26, 2015 12:00 AM EST Reads: 486
Microservices are a very exciting architectural approach that many organizations are looking to as a way to accelerate innovation. Microservices promise to allow teams to move away from monolithic "ball of mud" systems, but the reality is that, in the vast majority of organizations, different projects and technologies will continue to be developed at different speeds. How to handle the dependencies between these disparate systems with different iteration cycles? Consider the "canoncial problem" in this scenario: microservice A (releases daily) depends on a couple of additions to backend B (re...
Nov. 25, 2015 10:00 PM EST Reads: 394
I recently attended and was a speaker at the 4th International Internet of @ThingsExpo at the Santa Clara Convention Center. I also had the opportunity to attend this event last year and I wrote a blog from that show talking about how the “Enterprise Impact of IoT” was a key theme of last year’s show. I was curious to see if the same theme would still resonate 365 days later and what, if any, changes I would see in the content presented.
Nov. 25, 2015 09:00 PM EST Reads: 368
Apps and devices shouldn't stop working when there's limited or no network connectivity. Learn how to bring data stored in a cloud database to the edge of the network (and back again) whenever an Internet connection is available. In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, Ben Perlmutter, a Sales Engineer with IBM Cloudant, demonstrated techniques for replicating cloud databases with devices in order to build offline-first mobile or Internet of Things (IoT) apps that can provide a better, faster user experience, both offline and online. The focus of this talk was on IBM Cloudant, Apache CouchDB, and ...
Nov. 25, 2015 08:30 PM EST Reads: 368
Container technology is shaping the future of DevOps and it’s also changing the way organizations think about application development. With the rise of mobile applications in the enterprise, businesses are abandoning year-long development cycles and embracing technologies that enable rapid development and continuous deployment of apps. In his session at DevOps Summit, Kurt Collins, Developer Evangelist at Built.io, examined how Docker has evolved into a highly effective tool for application delivery by allowing increasingly popular Mobile Backend-as-a-Service (mBaaS) platforms to quickly crea...
Nov. 25, 2015 05:00 PM EST Reads: 302
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York and Silicon Valley. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound cha...
Nov. 25, 2015 02:45 PM EST Reads: 500
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 7-9, 2016 at Javits Center, New York City and Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 18th International @CloudExpo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo New York Call for Papers is now open.
Nov. 25, 2015 02:30 PM EST Reads: 509
The cloud. Like a comic book superhero, there seems to be no problem it can’t fix or cost it can’t slash. Yet making the transition is not always easy and production environments are still largely on premise. Taking some practical and sensible steps to reduce risk can also help provide a basis for a successful cloud transition. A plethora of surveys from the likes of IDG and Gartner show that more than 70 percent of enterprises have deployed at least one or more cloud application or workload. Yet a closer inspection at the data reveals less than half of these cloud projects involve production...
Nov. 25, 2015 02:15 PM EST Reads: 426
Cloud computing delivers on-demand resources that provide businesses with flexibility and cost-savings. The challenge in moving workloads to the cloud has been the cost and complexity of ensuring the initial and ongoing security and regulatory (PCI, HIPAA, FFIEC) compliance across private and public clouds. Manual security compliance is slow, prone to human error, and represents over 50% of the cost of managing cloud applications. Determining how to automate cloud security compliance is critical to maintaining positive ROI. Raxak Protect is an automated security compliance SaaS platform and ma...
Nov. 25, 2015 02:00 PM EST Reads: 358
Today air travel is a minefield of delays, hassles and customer disappointment. Airlines struggle to revitalize the experience. GE and M2Mi will demonstrate practical examples of how IoT solutions are helping airlines bring back personalization, reduce trip time and improve reliability. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Dr. Sarah Cooper, M2Mi’s VP Business Development and Engineering, explored the IoT cloud-based platform technologies driving this change including privacy controls, data transparency and integration of real time context with p...
Nov. 25, 2015 12:00 PM EST Reads: 369