|By Business Wire||
|May 1, 2014 09:08 AM EDT||
Actifio, the copy data virtualization company, today announced a significant expansion of its product portfolio dramatically increasing the scope and scale of its enterprise class data virtualization platform. The new offering will extend the functionality of Actifio CDS, making a virtual instance of the company’s Virtual Data Pipeline™ technology available wherever application data may reside, from the data center core to the public cloud.
The new product will be the first in a new family called “Actifio Sky™,” and marks a milestone for the company as it moves beyond its integrated appliance-only roots. Company executives took the occasion to describe the company’s full scope product vision – Actifio Anywhere – in more detail than has previously been revealed.
What Actifio Does
Today distributed enterprises are focused on improving resiliency, agility, and mobility toward cloud-based infrastructure, even as the sheer volume of data they need to manage is exploding. Actifio’s copy data virtualization platform solves these problems, replacing a complex tangle of siloed storage and data management systems – all creating copies of the same production data – with a single solution that lets customers:
1. Capture data from production applications according to an SLA that can be defined in just a few clicks and changed anytime,
2. Manage the lifecycle of that data in the most efficient way through the creation of a single “golden master” that can be stored anywhere and updated incrementally forever, and
3. Use that data to spin up an unlimited number of virtual copies for any use, anytime, anywhere.
Actifio virtualizes data as other technologies have virtualized compute and networking, decoupling management of increasingly strategic enterprise data from increasingly commoditized enterprise infrastructure. IDC estimates the worldwide market for products and services in this space, which it refers to as copy data management, at $46 Billion in 2014.
To support mid and large enterprises, Actifio has to date delivered this capability through the certified configuration and deployment of an integrated appliance, called Actifio CDS. Actifio CDS supports a complete range of platforms (VMware, Windows, Linux, AIX, HP-UX, AS/400, Unix, Solaris…), applications (SQL, Oracle, Exchange, Sharepoint, SAP, DB2…), and use cases (backup, snapshot, BC/DR, dev & test, compliance, analytics…) across all vertical industries, in 32 countries with over an exabyte of application data under management.
Actifio Sky is a new generation built on the foundation of the company’s Virtual Data Pipeline™ technology, now protected by an expanding portfolio of 36 in process or approved patents. It extends the power of copy data virtualization from the data center to the edge of the enterprise, and into the cloud.
Actifio Sky offers a new level of deployment flexibility and range, enabling seamless data management wherever the enterprise data is located to improve data protection, governance, and analytics. Sky will be offered first for Remote / Branch Offices (ROBOs,) and a Cloud deployment option for businesses looking to shift enterprise workloads into the cloud. Together with Actifio’s CDS data center appliance, Actifio Sky eliminates barriers to data mobility between the edge to the core, enabling transformational data management velocity and scale across the enterprise.
Built on VDP technology, Actifio Sky’s capabilities now include:
- Easy Download and Deploy with a consumer-grade UI delivering an intuitive, point-and-click data management delivering faster time to productivity
- Application-centric, SLA-based management for powerful remote data protection and disaster recovery for applications
- Rapid recovery from remote site failure, centrally, or into the cloud
- The ability to vault data directly to public cloud storage services including Amazon™ Web Services
- Patented Dedup-Async Replication™ for network-optimized data replication and space efficiency through Direct-to-DeDup storage
"Actifio Sky gives our customers another powerful capability to capture, manage and use their data for multiple use-cases wherever it is stored - in remote offices or in the cloud - for recovery or application development scenarios," said Abdul Altamimi, EVP RestorePoint. "As a leading provider of data protection and disaster recovery solutions, we're equally excited by the positive response of our users to our Actifio-powered services, as well as Actifio's continued platform innovation. This solution from Actifio perfectly supports our customers’ needs to address exponential data growth, increasingly complex regulatory requirements and an expanding network of remote and branch offices."
The company announced both deployment options of Actifio Sky in the context of a broader product vision than has previously been discussed.
“Actifio Sky is already giving our enterprise customers access to data sets they’d never been able to gather, analyze, and protect before, and simplifying the customer deployment model of our cloud service provider partners,” said Actifio Founder & CEO Ash Ashutosh.
“Enabling Actifio’s technology to run on a virtual appliance has been a key milestone in our platform vision right from the start. With the launch of this platform extension, we’re demonstrating the depth and breadth of our underlying technology, and taking an important step toward letting an even broader range of customers across every geography, vertical, and market segment tap the power of Actifio’s copy data virtualization model in whatever form makes the most sense for them… as a fully integrated appliance leveraging bundled, existing, or third-party storage; as a virtual appliance which can be deployed readily into the edge or the cloud; or as a cloud-based platform-as-a-service (PaaS,) available on demand and accessible through any device. We call this vision ‘Actifio Anywhere,’ and it points to the exciting range of Actifio products and services customers will see us introduce to the market over the coming months and years.”
For more information on Actifio Sky, visit: http://www.actifio.com/products/actifio-sky/
Supporting Quotes - Customers:
- “As an industry leader in disaster recovery and business continuity, we strive to work with the most innovative companies, like Actifio – a pioneer in copy data virtualization, to bring exceptional service to our customers,” commented Souvik Choudhury, vice president of Recovery Services product management at Sungard Availability Services. “Actifio provides our mutual customers with a way to free their data from underlying infrastructure with a compelling economic proposition. We look forward to introducing this new product to our portfolio, to help manage our customer’s data wherever it resides - on premise or in the cloud.”
- “At the core of our crowdsourcing innovation, virtual technology and operational efficiencies is data. The technology solutions that power our ability to access and present information to our call-center teams are mission critical to our business," said Martin Ingram, CIO Arise Virtual Solutions, "We are implementing Actifio Sky and are leveraging it together with our central Actifio CDS solution for better service levels at a lower cost than any other solution on the market today. This new innovation from Actifio further validates and extends our initial investment in copy data virtualization.”
- “Our experience with Actifio Sky has truly been remarkable. We were able to deploy it in less than an hour and began replicating the protected data back to our datacenter soon after,” said Randy Bagby, Sr. Systems Engineer, Triad Retail Media. “This gave us local access to remote data that we’d frankly never been able to quickly access before. Going forward it will enable us to improve our ability to not only protect but access this important data when and where we need it. The impact of that in our business will be significant.”
Supporting Quotes - Analysts:
- “Copy data virtualization represents a fundamental shift in approach to business agility and resiliency as IT professionals begin to think in terms of data management rather than ‘siloed’ backup/recovery, application dev/test, business-continuity, analytics, disaster-recovery and archiving operations,” said Dave Simpson, Senior Analyst at 451 Research. “Combining Actifio CDS’s proven ability with Actifio Sky’s rapid deployment at remote sites or in the cloud, users can now manage all their application data from a single platform, wherever application data may reside, transforming copy data from a liability into a strategic business advantage.”
- “As the amount of data managed by organizations continues to grow, the cost and complexity of copy-centric activities like backup and disaster recovery continues to rise,” said Steve Duplessie, Founder and Senior Analyst at ESG. “Actifio has hit upon the obvious solution - helping companies make fewer copies of data and maintain fewer silos. Now with Sky, it has eliminated any remaining barriers to data mobility, minimizing cost and complexity while delivering data copying, protection and restoration even as companies shift enterprise workloads into the cloud.”
- "Companies have to protect and manage their data as efficiently and effectively as possible in a new economy driven by requirements for 24/7 access. But in a quest to meet service-level objectives, generating multiple copies of primary data has become the norm for businesses, costing them roughly $46 billion in 2014 and consuming 65% of external storage systems capacity,” said Laura DuBois, Vice President at IDC. “Getting that spending under control while also maintaining business agility will be imperative for companies, and Actifio strikes at the root of this problem with Actifio Sky, offering a single platform for businesses to manage copies of data efficiently, maintaining service levels while creating significant cost savings. Whether apps live on-premise, at remote sites or in the cloud, Actifio’s customers now can easily capture, manage and use the data for multiple purposes while reducing cost and complexity."
Actifio delivers copy data virtualization to hundreds of global enterprise customers and service provider partners in more than 30 countries around the world. Our Virtual Data Pipeline™ technology decouples data from infrastructure, enabling dramatic improvements in business resiliency, agility, and access to the cloud. Actifio replaces siloed data management applications with a radically simple, application-centric, SLA-driven approach that lets customers capture data from production applications, manage it more economically, and use it when and where they need to. Actifio is headquartered just outside Boston, Massachusetts, and can be reached via the web (actifio.com,) Twitter (@actifio,) or email at [email protected].
Containers are not new, but renewed commitments to performance, flexibility, and agility have propelled them to the top of the agenda today. By working without the need for virtualization and its overhead, containers are seen as the perfect way to deploy apps and services across multiple clouds. Containers can handle anything from file types to operating systems and services, including microservices. What are microservices? Unlike what the name implies, microservices are not necessarily small, but are focused on specific tasks. The ability for developers to deploy multiple containers – thous...
Sep. 3, 2015 06:00 AM EDT
WebRTC services have already permeated corporate communications in the form of videoconferencing solutions. However, WebRTC has the potential of going beyond and catalyzing a new class of services providing more than calls with capabilities such as mass-scale real-time media broadcasting, enriched and augmented video, person-to-machine and machine-to-machine communications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Luis Lopez, CEO of Kurento, will introduce the technologies required for implementing these ideas and some early experiments performed in the Kurento open source software community in areas ...
Sep. 3, 2015 06:00 AM EDT
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo in Silicon Valley. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal an...
Sep. 3, 2015 05:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,017
The 3rd International WebRTC Summit, to be held Nov. 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, announces that its Call for Papers is now open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 15th International Cloud Expo, 6th International Big Data Expo, 3rd International DevOps Summit and 2nd Internet of @ThingsExpo. WebRTC (Web-based Real-Time Communication) is an open source project supported by Google, Mozilla and Opera that aims to enable bro...
Sep. 3, 2015 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,582
WebRTC has had a real tough three or four years, and so have those working with it. Only a few short years ago, the development world were excited about WebRTC and proclaiming how awesome it was. You might have played with the technology a couple of years ago, only to find the extra infrastructure requirements were painful to implement and poorly documented. This probably left a bitter taste in your mouth, especially when things went wrong.
Sep. 3, 2015 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 493
Through WebRTC, audio and video communications are being embedded more easily than ever into applications, helping carriers, enterprises and independent software vendors deliver greater functionality to their end users. With today’s business world increasingly focused on outcomes, users’ growing calls for ease of use, and businesses craving smarter, tighter integration, what’s the next step in delivering a richer, more immersive experience? That richer, more fully integrated experience comes about through a Communications Platform as a Service which allows for messaging, screen sharing, video...
Sep. 3, 2015 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 730
The 17th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. 17th International Cloud Expo, to be held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, APM, APIs, Microservices, Security, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal today!
Sep. 3, 2015 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,684
SYS-CON Events announced today that the "Second Containers & Microservices Expo" will take place November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Containers and microservices have become topics of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities.
Sep. 2, 2015 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 641
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lee Williams, a producer of the first smartphones and tablets, will talk about how he is now applying his experience in mobile technology to the design and development of the next generation of Environmental and Sustainability Services at ETwater. He will explain how M2M controllers work through wirelessly connected remote controls; and specifically delve into a retrofit option that reverse-engineers control codes of existing conventional controller systems so they don't have to be replaced and are instantly converted to become smart, connected devices.
Sep. 2, 2015 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 234
Akana has announced the availability of the new Akana Healthcare Solution. The API-driven solution helps healthcare organizations accelerate their transition to being secure, digitally interoperable businesses. It leverages the Health Level Seven International Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources (HL7 FHIR) standard to enable broader business use of medical data. Akana developed the Healthcare Solution in response to healthcare businesses that want to increase electronic, multi-device access to health records while reducing operating costs and complying with government regulations.
Sep. 2, 2015 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 311
SYS-CON Events announced today that IceWarp will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. IceWarp, the leader of cloud and on-premise messaging, delivers secured email, chat, documents, conferencing and collaboration to today's mobile workforce, all in one unified interface
Sep. 2, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 470
SYS-CON Events announced today that Micron Technology, Inc., a global leader in advanced semiconductor systems, will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Micron’s broad portfolio of high-performance memory technologies – including DRAM, NAND and NOR Flash – is the basis for solid state drives, modules, multichip packages and other system solutions. Backed by more than 35 years of technology leadership, Micron's memory solutions enable the world's most innovative computing, consumer,...
Sep. 2, 2015 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 274
SYS-CON Events announced today the Containers & Microservices Bootcamp, being held November 3-4, 2015, in conjunction with 17th Cloud Expo, @ThingsExpo, and @DevOpsSummit at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. This is your chance to get started with the latest technology in the industry. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the Containers and Microservices Bootcamp, led by Janakiram MSV, a Microsoft Regional Director, will include presentations as well as hands-on demos and comprehensive walkthroughs.
Sep. 2, 2015 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 403
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pythian, a global IT services company specializing in helping companies leverage disruptive technologies to optimize revenue-generating systems, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 17th Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Founded in 1997, Pythian is a global IT services company that helps companies compete by adopting disruptive technologies such as cloud, Big Data, advanced analytics, and DevOps to advance innovation and increase agility. Specializing in designing, imple...
Sep. 2, 2015 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 361
17th Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterprises are using some form of XaaS – software, platform, and infrastructure as a service.
Sep. 2, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,591
With the Apple Watch making its way onto wrists all over the world, it’s only a matter of time before it becomes a staple in the workplace. In fact, Forrester reported that 68 percent of technology and business decision-makers characterize wearables as a top priority for 2015. Recognizing their business value early on, FinancialForce.com was the first to bring ERP to wearables, helping streamline communication across front and back office functions. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Kevin Roberts, GM of Platform at FinancialForce.com, will discuss the value of business applications on wearable ...
Sep. 2, 2015 04:00 PM EDT
Consumer IoT applications provide data about the user that just doesn’t exist in traditional PC or mobile web applications. This rich data, or “context,” enables the highly personalized consumer experiences that characterize many consumer IoT apps. This same data is also providing brands with unprecedented insight into how their connected products are being used, while, at the same time, powering highly targeted engagement and marketing opportunities. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nathan Treloar, President and COO of Bebaio, will explore examples of brands transforming their businesses by t...
Sep. 2, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 271
SYS-CON Events announced today that HPM Networks will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For 20 years, HPM Networks has been integrating technology solutions that solve complex business challenges. HPM Networks has designed solutions for both SMB and enterprise customers throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
Sep. 2, 2015 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 949
While many app developers are comfortable building apps for the smartphone, there is a whole new world out there. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Narayan Sainaney, Co-founder and CTO of Mojio, will discuss how the business case for connected car apps is growing and, with open platform companies having already done the heavy lifting, there really is no barrier to entry.
Sep. 2, 2015 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 201
Too often with compelling new technologies market participants become overly enamored with that attractiveness of the technology and neglect underlying business drivers. This tendency, what some call the “newest shiny object syndrome,” is understandable given that virtually all of us are heavily engaged in technology. But it is also mistaken. Without concrete business cases driving its deployment, IoT, like many other technologies before it, will fade into obscurity.
Sep. 2, 2015 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 422