|By Business Wire||
|May 1, 2014 09:08 AM EDT||
Actifio, the copy data virtualization company, today announced a significant expansion of its product portfolio dramatically increasing the scope and scale of its enterprise class data virtualization platform. The new offering will extend the functionality of Actifio CDS, making a virtual instance of the company’s Virtual Data Pipeline™ technology available wherever application data may reside, from the data center core to the public cloud.
The new product will be the first in a new family called “Actifio Sky™,” and marks a milestone for the company as it moves beyond its integrated appliance-only roots. Company executives took the occasion to describe the company’s full scope product vision – Actifio Anywhere – in more detail than has previously been revealed.
What Actifio Does
Today distributed enterprises are focused on improving resiliency, agility, and mobility toward cloud-based infrastructure, even as the sheer volume of data they need to manage is exploding. Actifio’s copy data virtualization platform solves these problems, replacing a complex tangle of siloed storage and data management systems – all creating copies of the same production data – with a single solution that lets customers:
1. Capture data from production applications according to an SLA that can be defined in just a few clicks and changed anytime,
2. Manage the lifecycle of that data in the most efficient way through the creation of a single “golden master” that can be stored anywhere and updated incrementally forever, and
3. Use that data to spin up an unlimited number of virtual copies for any use, anytime, anywhere.
Actifio virtualizes data as other technologies have virtualized compute and networking, decoupling management of increasingly strategic enterprise data from increasingly commoditized enterprise infrastructure. IDC estimates the worldwide market for products and services in this space, which it refers to as copy data management, at $46 Billion in 2014.
To support mid and large enterprises, Actifio has to date delivered this capability through the certified configuration and deployment of an integrated appliance, called Actifio CDS. Actifio CDS supports a complete range of platforms (VMware, Windows, Linux, AIX, HP-UX, AS/400, Unix, Solaris…), applications (SQL, Oracle, Exchange, Sharepoint, SAP, DB2…), and use cases (backup, snapshot, BC/DR, dev & test, compliance, analytics…) across all vertical industries, in 32 countries with over an exabyte of application data under management.
Actifio Sky is a new generation built on the foundation of the company’s Virtual Data Pipeline™ technology, now protected by an expanding portfolio of 36 in process or approved patents. It extends the power of copy data virtualization from the data center to the edge of the enterprise, and into the cloud.
Actifio Sky offers a new level of deployment flexibility and range, enabling seamless data management wherever the enterprise data is located to improve data protection, governance, and analytics. Sky will be offered first for Remote / Branch Offices (ROBOs,) and a Cloud deployment option for businesses looking to shift enterprise workloads into the cloud. Together with Actifio’s CDS data center appliance, Actifio Sky eliminates barriers to data mobility between the edge to the core, enabling transformational data management velocity and scale across the enterprise.
Built on VDP technology, Actifio Sky’s capabilities now include:
- Easy Download and Deploy with a consumer-grade UI delivering an intuitive, point-and-click data management delivering faster time to productivity
- Application-centric, SLA-based management for powerful remote data protection and disaster recovery for applications
- Rapid recovery from remote site failure, centrally, or into the cloud
- The ability to vault data directly to public cloud storage services including Amazon™ Web Services
- Patented Dedup-Async Replication™ for network-optimized data replication and space efficiency through Direct-to-DeDup storage
"Actifio Sky gives our customers another powerful capability to capture, manage and use their data for multiple use-cases wherever it is stored - in remote offices or in the cloud - for recovery or application development scenarios," said Abdul Altamimi, EVP RestorePoint. "As a leading provider of data protection and disaster recovery solutions, we're equally excited by the positive response of our users to our Actifio-powered services, as well as Actifio's continued platform innovation. This solution from Actifio perfectly supports our customers’ needs to address exponential data growth, increasingly complex regulatory requirements and an expanding network of remote and branch offices."
The company announced both deployment options of Actifio Sky in the context of a broader product vision than has previously been discussed.
“Actifio Sky is already giving our enterprise customers access to data sets they’d never been able to gather, analyze, and protect before, and simplifying the customer deployment model of our cloud service provider partners,” said Actifio Founder & CEO Ash Ashutosh.
“Enabling Actifio’s technology to run on a virtual appliance has been a key milestone in our platform vision right from the start. With the launch of this platform extension, we’re demonstrating the depth and breadth of our underlying technology, and taking an important step toward letting an even broader range of customers across every geography, vertical, and market segment tap the power of Actifio’s copy data virtualization model in whatever form makes the most sense for them… as a fully integrated appliance leveraging bundled, existing, or third-party storage; as a virtual appliance which can be deployed readily into the edge or the cloud; or as a cloud-based platform-as-a-service (PaaS,) available on demand and accessible through any device. We call this vision ‘Actifio Anywhere,’ and it points to the exciting range of Actifio products and services customers will see us introduce to the market over the coming months and years.”
For more information on Actifio Sky, visit: http://www.actifio.com/products/actifio-sky/
Supporting Quotes - Customers:
- “As an industry leader in disaster recovery and business continuity, we strive to work with the most innovative companies, like Actifio – a pioneer in copy data virtualization, to bring exceptional service to our customers,” commented Souvik Choudhury, vice president of Recovery Services product management at Sungard Availability Services. “Actifio provides our mutual customers with a way to free their data from underlying infrastructure with a compelling economic proposition. We look forward to introducing this new product to our portfolio, to help manage our customer’s data wherever it resides - on premise or in the cloud.”
- “At the core of our crowdsourcing innovation, virtual technology and operational efficiencies is data. The technology solutions that power our ability to access and present information to our call-center teams are mission critical to our business," said Martin Ingram, CIO Arise Virtual Solutions, "We are implementing Actifio Sky and are leveraging it together with our central Actifio CDS solution for better service levels at a lower cost than any other solution on the market today. This new innovation from Actifio further validates and extends our initial investment in copy data virtualization.”
- “Our experience with Actifio Sky has truly been remarkable. We were able to deploy it in less than an hour and began replicating the protected data back to our datacenter soon after,” said Randy Bagby, Sr. Systems Engineer, Triad Retail Media. “This gave us local access to remote data that we’d frankly never been able to quickly access before. Going forward it will enable us to improve our ability to not only protect but access this important data when and where we need it. The impact of that in our business will be significant.”
Supporting Quotes - Analysts:
- “Copy data virtualization represents a fundamental shift in approach to business agility and resiliency as IT professionals begin to think in terms of data management rather than ‘siloed’ backup/recovery, application dev/test, business-continuity, analytics, disaster-recovery and archiving operations,” said Dave Simpson, Senior Analyst at 451 Research. “Combining Actifio CDS’s proven ability with Actifio Sky’s rapid deployment at remote sites or in the cloud, users can now manage all their application data from a single platform, wherever application data may reside, transforming copy data from a liability into a strategic business advantage.”
- “As the amount of data managed by organizations continues to grow, the cost and complexity of copy-centric activities like backup and disaster recovery continues to rise,” said Steve Duplessie, Founder and Senior Analyst at ESG. “Actifio has hit upon the obvious solution - helping companies make fewer copies of data and maintain fewer silos. Now with Sky, it has eliminated any remaining barriers to data mobility, minimizing cost and complexity while delivering data copying, protection and restoration even as companies shift enterprise workloads into the cloud.”
- "Companies have to protect and manage their data as efficiently and effectively as possible in a new economy driven by requirements for 24/7 access. But in a quest to meet service-level objectives, generating multiple copies of primary data has become the norm for businesses, costing them roughly $46 billion in 2014 and consuming 65% of external storage systems capacity,” said Laura DuBois, Vice President at IDC. “Getting that spending under control while also maintaining business agility will be imperative for companies, and Actifio strikes at the root of this problem with Actifio Sky, offering a single platform for businesses to manage copies of data efficiently, maintaining service levels while creating significant cost savings. Whether apps live on-premise, at remote sites or in the cloud, Actifio’s customers now can easily capture, manage and use the data for multiple purposes while reducing cost and complexity."
Actifio delivers copy data virtualization to hundreds of global enterprise customers and service provider partners in more than 30 countries around the world. Our Virtual Data Pipeline™ technology decouples data from infrastructure, enabling dramatic improvements in business resiliency, agility, and access to the cloud. Actifio replaces siloed data management applications with a radically simple, application-centric, SLA-driven approach that lets customers capture data from production applications, manage it more economically, and use it when and where they need to. Actifio is headquartered just outside Boston, Massachusetts, and can be reached via the web (actifio.com,) Twitter (@actifio,) or email at [email protected].
Basho Technologies has announced the latest release of Basho Riak TS, version 1.3. Riak TS is an enterprise-grade NoSQL database optimized for Internet of Things (IoT). The open source version enables developers to download the software for free and use it in production as well as make contributions to the code and develop applications around Riak TS. Enhancements to Riak TS make it quick, easy and cost-effective to spin up an instance to test new ideas and build IoT applications. In addition to...
Jul. 31, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,041
Identity is in everything and customers are looking to their providers to ensure the security of their identities, transactions and data. With the increased reliance on cloud-based services, service providers must build security and trust into their offerings, adding value to customers and improving the user experience. Making identity, security and privacy easy for customers provides a unique advantage over the competition.
Jul. 30, 2016 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,336
CenturyLink has announced that application server solutions from GENBAND are now available as part of CenturyLink’s Networx contracts. The General Services Administration (GSA)’s Networx program includes the largest telecommunications contract vehicles ever awarded by the federal government. CenturyLink recently secured an extension through spring 2020 of its offerings available to federal government agencies via GSA’s Networx Universal and Enterprise contracts. GENBAND’s EXPERiUS™ Application...
Jul. 30, 2016 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,943
"We've discovered that after shows 80% if leads that people get, 80% of the conversations end up on the show floor, meaning people forget about it, people forget who they talk to, people forget that there are actual business opportunities to be had here so we try to help out and keep the conversations going," explained Jeff Mesnik, Founder and President of ContentMX, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 30, 2016 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,497
I wanted to gather all of my Internet of Things (IOT) blogs into a single blog (that I could later use with my University of San Francisco (USF) Big Data “MBA” course). However as I started to pull these blogs together, I realized that my IOT discussion lacked a vision; it lacked an end point towards which an organization could drive their IOT envisioning, proof of value, app dev, data engineering and data science efforts. And I think that the IOT end point is really quite simple…
Jul. 30, 2016 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,318
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers is now open.
Jul. 30, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,777
You think you know what’s in your data. But do you? Most organizations are now aware of the business intelligence represented by their data. Data science stands to take this to a level you never thought of – literally. The techniques of data science, when used with the capabilities of Big Data technologies, can make connections you had not yet imagined, helping you discover new insights and ask new questions of your data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sarbjit Sarkaria, data science team lead ...
Jul. 30, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,311
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, discussed the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to focus...
Jul. 30, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,128
"My role is working with customers, helping them go through this digital transformation. I spend a lot of time talking to banks, big industries, manufacturers working through how they are integrating and transforming their IT platforms and moving them forward," explained William Morrish, General Manager Product Sales at Interoute, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 30, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,283
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Jul. 30, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 986
SYS-CON Events announced today that LeaseWeb USA, a cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LeaseWeb is one of the world's largest hosting brands. The company helps customers define, develop and deploy IT infrastructure tailored to their exact business needs, by combining various kinds cloud solutions.
Jul. 30, 2016 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,416
For basic one-to-one voice or video calling solutions, WebRTC has proven to be a very powerful technology. Although WebRTC’s core functionality is to provide secure, real-time p2p media streaming, leveraging native platform features and server-side components brings up new communication capabilities for web and native mobile applications, allowing for advanced multi-user use cases such as video broadcasting, conferencing, and media recording.
Jul. 30, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,129
SYS-CON Events announced today that Venafi, the Immune System for the Internet™ and the leading provider of Next Generation Trust Protection, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Venafi is the Immune System for the Internet™ that protects the foundation of all cybersecurity – cryptographic keys and digital certificates – so they can’t be misused by bad guys in attacks...
Jul. 30, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,529
ReadyTalk has expanded the capabilities of the FoxDen collaboration platform announced late last year to include FoxDen Connect, an in-room video collaboration experience that launches with a single touch. With FoxDen Connect, users can now not only engage in HD video conferencing between iOS and Android mobile devices or Chrome browsers, but also set up in-person meeting rooms for video interactions. A host’s mobile device automatically recognizes the presence of a meeting room via beacon tech...
Jul. 30, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 564
The cloud market growth today is largely in public clouds. While there is a lot of spend in IT departments in virtualization, these aren’t yet translating into a true “cloud” experience within the enterprise. What is stopping the growth of the “private cloud” market? In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Nara Rajagopalan, CEO of Accelerite, explored the challenges in deploying, managing, and getting adoption for a private cloud within an enterprise. What are the key differences between wh...
Jul. 30, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,192
It’s 2016: buildings are smart, connected and the IoT is fundamentally altering how control and operating systems work and speak to each other. Platforms across the enterprise are networked via inexpensive sensors to collect massive amounts of data for analytics, information management, and insights that can be used to continuously improve operations. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Brian Chemel, Co-Founder and CTO of Digital Lumens, will explore: The benefits sensor-networked systems bring to ...
Jul. 30, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,667
On Dice.com, the number of job postings asking for skill in Amazon Web Services increased 76 percent between June 2015 and June 2016. Salesforce.com saw its own skill mentions increase 37 percent, while DevOps and Cloud rose 35 percent and 28 percent, respectively. Even as they expand their presence in the cloud, companies are also looking for tech professionals who can manage projects, crunch data, and figure out how to make systems run more autonomously. Mentions of ‘data science’ as a skill ...
Jul. 30, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 649
Manufacturers are embracing the Industrial Internet the same way consumers are leveraging Fitbits – to improve overall health and wellness. Both can provide consistent measurement, visibility, and suggest performance improvements customized to help reach goals. Fitbit users can view real-time data and make adjustments to increase their activity. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mark Bernardo Professional Services Leader, Americas, at GE Digital, discussed how leveraging the Industrial Internet a...
Jul. 30, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 805
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings in the last year, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their back-end AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT – especially in the connected home and office. Amazon is extending its reach by building on its dominant Cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strategy, recently announced Replenishment Services, the Echo/Alexa voice recognition control platform, the 6-7 strategic...
Jul. 30, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 741
In addition to all the benefits, IoT is also bringing new kind of customer experience challenges - cars that unlock themselves, thermostats turning houses into saunas and baby video monitors broadcasting over the internet. This list can only increase because while IoT services should be intuitive and simple to use, the delivery ecosystem is a myriad of potential problems as IoT explodes complexity. So finding a performance issue is like finding the proverbial needle in the haystack.
Jul. 30, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,434