|By Business Wire||
|May 5, 2014 03:00 AM EDT||
American Industrial Systems, Inc. (AIS), the leading designer and manufacturer of open platform operator interfaces, touchscreens and panel PCs, announces its HMI design for manufacturability services for the new IEC 62368-1 hazard-based standard that will replace both IEC 60065 (Safety of AV Equipment) and IEC 60950-1 (Safety of Information & Communication Technology Equipment). The IEC 62368-1 Second Edition CB Certificates and Standards represent a major change or shift in focus in how the standards are being developed. The traditional prescriptive standards focuses on establishing a set of written rules to be followed, whereas the new hazards-based standard is focused on identifying safety hazards in the early product development phase and designing the product to eliminate them – and providing more performance options to demonstrate compliance to the standards. These new hazards-based testing methods require a more comprehensive and holistic approach to Design for Manufacturability, in which AIS already has tremendous expertise, in-house capabilities and services for over the past decade.
IEC EN UL CSA 62368-1 Hazard Based Safety Standard, Human Machine Interface (HMI) Operator Interfaces and Panel PCs (Photo: Business Wire)
In the next five years, the predominant approach to safety engineering will significant shift from prescriptive rules to a new hazard-based concept, with more performance-based options. The new hazards-based standard is expected to be advantageous for AIS who designs, engineers and manufacturers highly advanced, reliable and safe open-based platform PC-based HMIs for their customers. Their Design for Manufacturability Services (DMS) and capabilities for open platform HMIs are focused on hazard-based principles, which are more performance-based requirements (vs. prescriptive) and their ability to better consider and incorporate innovative HMI and visualization systems design and construction.
IEC 62368-1 and Standards Will Affect Compliance, Certification & Standards Testing for HMI Manufacturers
In the ever-changing world of digital technology, safety standards for high-tech products are constantly being updated or developed to reflect new changes. Manufacturers need to transition their approach and stay abreast of ongoing developments of both the current standards (60065 & 60950) and IEC & UL/CSA 62368-1, the alternative to those traditional safety standards. As a leader in operation, control, monitoring and visualization technologies, standards and compliance testing are critical components to AIS’s overall new product development process. AIS is addressing these new standards requirements by now testing to meet IEC 62368-1 Safety Standards and Certifications for Information & Communication Technology Equipment.
The IEC 62368-1 – Audio/Video, Information and Communication Technology Equipment – Safety Requirements – has been an IEC standard since early 2010. The new approach, based on Hazard-Based Safety Engineering (HBSE), has the added benefit of better facilitating the introduction of new and innovative methods of construction and technology without first requiring amendment of the relevant standards to accommodate it. The new standards cover a wide range of high-tech products, including: computing and networking products, consumer electronics, displays and display units, telecommunication products, office appliances, musical instruments and similar varieties of audio/video, information and communication technology equipment.
AIS’s Open Platform HMI Product Development Teams Focus on Testing & Meeting Changing Standards, Certifications & Compliance Requirements
Human machine interfaces (HMIs) have always played a critical role in enabling plant operators to monitor and perform critical control actions in an operational context as well as facilitating advanced visualization into supervisory and enterprise-level solutions. In order to design and manufacturer highly-reliable HMI systems that deliver safe, cost-effective and intuitive performance, the AIS DMS team relies on the application of engineering best practices throughout design, testing and quality assurance processes.
AIS foresee several trends in manufacturing plants and industrial facilities to change business. Internet-based (TCP/IP-enabled) technologies will continue to drive how HMIs are designed, engineered and manufactured in the future. With increasing product liabilities, standards, certifications and compliance, there will be a strong push for open-based HMI control and monitoring equipment that provide higher quality, higher reliability, more flexibility, and above all else, higher safety requirements. The process industry and applications such as food and beverage, pharmaceuticals and utilities and discrete manufacturing applications (such as general manufacturing, automotive, metals manufacturing, packaging, aerospace and defense, electronics and semiconductors and machine tools) are also factors in AIS’s product portfolio roadmap in the coming years.
AIS HMI Control and Monitoring Solutions Meet Future Expectations & Demands
AIS realizes user expectations of HMI capabilities are continuously changing. Some of the key shifts impacting the operating and monitoring functions in the industrial space, and how AIS is already meeting these demands with their product portfolio include the following:
Increased Demand for Comprehensive Certifications and Compliances
- cUL, cUL and IECEE CB Listed to Safety Standards and Certifications for Information & Communication Technology Equipment: UL 62368-1, CAN/CSA C22.2 No. 62368-1 and EN 62368-1
- UL, cUL and IECEE CB Listed to Safety Standards and Certifications for Measurement, Control, and Laboratory Electrical Equipment: UL 61010-1, UL 61010-2-201, CAN/CSA-C22.2 NO. 61010-1-12 and EN 61010-1
- UL and cUL Listed to Safety Standards: ANSI/ISA 12.12.01, 2012, Nonincendive Electrical Equipment for Use in Class 1, Division 2 Groups A, B, C, D Hazardous (Classified) Locations and CAN/CSA C22.2 No. 213-M1987 for Use in Class 1, Division 2 Hazardous Locations
- CE Ex Marked to Safety Standards: Explosive Atmospheres (ATEX)-Directive 2014/34/EU-Complying with the Essential Health and Safety Requirements that relate to the design of Zone 2 Category 3 Electrical Equipment, certified to ATEX Protection Classes- “CE Ex mark” II 3 G Ex nA ic IIA T4
- CE Marked to Safety Standards and Certifications for Information And Communication Technology Equipment: 2014/35/EU, EN 62368-1:2013
- Compliance with the Essential Health and Safety Requirements has been assured by Compliance with IEC 60079-0, IEC 60079-11, and IEC 60079-15
- Electromagnetic Emissions (EMC) Standards and Certifications: EU Directive 2014/30/EU, IEC EN 61000-3-3:2013, IEC EN 61000-6-4:2007/A1:2011, IEC EN 61000-4-11:2004, IEC EN 61000-4-3:2006+A1:2007+A2:2010, FCC 47 CFR Part 15 Class B, IECS-003 Class B, CISPR 22 Class B
- Electromagnetic Immunity (EMI) Standards and Certifications: EU Directive 2014/30/EU, IEC EN 61000-4-2:2009, IEC EN 61000-4-4:2012, IEC EN 61000-4-5:2006, IEC EN 61000-4-6:2014
- Environmental Standards and Certifications: 2011/65/EU (RoHS 2) and 2012/19/EU (WEEE)
- Compliance with the Shock and Vibration Requirements has been assured by Compliance with EN 60068-2-27:2009 and EN 60068-2-64:2008
- Compliance with the Chemical Resistance and Hygienic Equipment Requirements has been assured by Compliance with AISI 316L DIN 1.4435 and EN 1672-2:2005+A1:2009
- Compliance with the IP66 Degrees of Protection has been assured by Compliance with EN 60529
- Design with Risk Assessment of Machinery, Safety of Machinery and Safety Functions of Control Systems Requirements has been assured by Compliance with IEC ISO AWI 17305 and ISO TR 23849:2010 (EN ISO 12100, IEC EN 60204-1, IEC EN 61508, EN ISO 13849, IEC EN 62061)
Increased Demand for High Performance HMI Processor, Graphic, Memory and Power
- 4th Gen. Intel® Core™ i7-4650U processor with 4M cache, up to 3.30 GHz (Premium)
- High performance quad-core, Intel® Atom™ Processor E3845, 2M Cache, 1.91 GHz (Standard)
- High performance quad-core, Intel® Celeron® Processor N2920, 2M Cache, 1.86 GHz (Mobile)
- Intel HD Graphics supports DirectX 11.1, OpenCL/GL, and 4K videos Quick Sync encoder
- High memory bandwidth with DDR3L-1333/1600 (25.6 GB/s, up to 16 GB)
- 12 V to 24 V DC wide input-voltage range power supply (Premium and Standard)
- Hot-swappable Battery with 5300mAh or 10600mAh (Mobile)
Increased Demand for High Availability HMI Communication and Storage
- High speed USB 3.0 port for data transfer (4.8 Gbps), speeds up to 10x faster than 2.0
- High flexibility serial communication with multiple RS-232/422/485 I/O ports
- High reliability power and I/O ports with isolation protection
- High availability uplinks with 1 + 1 redundancy Gigabit Ethernet ports
- High availability data storage with 1 + 1 redundancy SSDs
Increased Demand for High Reliability HMI Touch Screen
- Surface durability zero-bezel: Touch screens meets pencil hardness 4H per ASTM D3363
- Touch screen input methods: Finger, gloved hand, or stylus activation
- Touch screen positional accuracy standard deviation error is less than 0.080 (2mm)
- Touch activation force typically less than 4 ounces (113 grams)
- High reliability LED backlight lifetime with 70K to 80K hours (half brightness)
Increased Demand for Rugged and Maintenance-Free
- Highly modular design with field-replaceable front panel and box PC modules
- Stainless steel bezel with IP66 sealing and chemical resistant surfaces
- Reduces installation time with removable HDD enclosure and easily accessible PCIe slot
- Highly robust design eliminates all moving parts by combining SSD and fan-less operation
- 0˚C to 50˚C (32˚F to 122˚F) wide operating temperature range (Premium and Standard models)
- -20 to 60°C (-4 to 140° F) wide operating temperature range (Mobile)
Increased Demand for Comprehensive Operating System Software & Services
- Offering complete software design, coding, testing, and documentation services
- System drivers, BIOS, and embedded firmware software design
- Supports Windows Standard 7 Embedded 64-bit and Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
- Supports Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry, Windows Embedded 8.1 Pro and Windows Embedded 8 Standard
- Supports Linux and Android
Headquartered in Irvine, California, USA, American Industrial Systems, Inc. (AIS) offers in-house electronic and mechanical design, software development, Manufacturing, Production and Quality Control Services. Offering one of the widest ranges of Industrial Computing solutions, AIS solutions are available in a multitude of configurations for Industrial, Oil & Gas, Military and Marine applications.
The company is fully committed to empowering, improving and delivering turnkey HMI, monitoring and display solutions for OEM, ODM and end-user customers. AIS is an ISO 9001:2008 certified supplier and manufacturer of rugged computers and displays, and received completion of the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) registration from the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC). For more information, visit: www.aispro.com, email: [email protected] or contact: 1-888-485-6688.
While many app developers are comfortable building apps for the smartphone, there is a whole new world out there. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Narayan Sainaney, Co-founder and CTO of Mojio, will discuss how the business case for connected car apps is growing and, with open platform companies having already done the heavy lifting, there really is no barrier to entry.
Sep. 2, 2015 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 190
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lee Williams, a producer of the first smartphones and tablets, will talk about how he is now applying his experience in mobile technology to the design and development of the next generation of Environmental and Sustainability Services at ETwater. He will explain how M2M controllers work through wirelessly connected remote controls; and specifically delve into a retrofit option that reverse-engineers control codes of existing conventional controller systems so they don't have to be replaced and are instantly converted to become smart, connected devices.
Sep. 2, 2015 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 201
Too often with compelling new technologies market participants become overly enamored with that attractiveness of the technology and neglect underlying business drivers. This tendency, what some call the “newest shiny object syndrome,” is understandable given that virtually all of us are heavily engaged in technology. But it is also mistaken. Without concrete business cases driving its deployment, IoT, like many other technologies before it, will fade into obscurity.
Sep. 2, 2015 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 411
Akana has announced the availability of the new Akana Healthcare Solution. The API-driven solution helps healthcare organizations accelerate their transition to being secure, digitally interoperable businesses. It leverages the Health Level Seven International Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources (HL7 FHIR) standard to enable broader business use of medical data. Akana developed the Healthcare Solution in response to healthcare businesses that want to increase electronic, multi-device access to health records while reducing operating costs and complying with government regulations.
Sep. 2, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 269
17th Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterprises are using some form of XaaS – software, platform, and infrastructure as a service.
Sep. 2, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,560
WebRTC services have already permeated corporate communications in the form of videoconferencing solutions. However, WebRTC has the potential of going beyond and catalyzing a new class of services providing more than calls with capabilities such as mass-scale real-time media broadcasting, enriched and augmented video, person-to-machine and machine-to-machine communications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Luis Lopez, CEO of Kurento, will introduce the technologies required for implementing these ideas and some early experiments performed in the Kurento open source software community in areas ...
Sep. 2, 2015 11:45 AM EDT
The 3rd International WebRTC Summit, to be held Nov. 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, announces that its Call for Papers is now open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 15th International Cloud Expo, 6th International Big Data Expo, 3rd International DevOps Summit and 2nd Internet of @ThingsExpo. WebRTC (Web-based Real-Time Communication) is an open source project supported by Google, Mozilla and Opera that aims to enable bro...
Sep. 2, 2015 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,545
The 17th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. 17th International Cloud Expo, to be held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, APM, APIs, Microservices, Security, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal today!
Sep. 2, 2015 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,627
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo in Silicon Valley. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal an...
Sep. 2, 2015 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,995
SYS-CON Events announced today the Containers & Microservices Bootcamp, being held November 3-4, 2015, in conjunction with 17th Cloud Expo, @ThingsExpo, and @DevOpsSummit at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. This is your chance to get started with the latest technology in the industry. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the Containers and Microservices Bootcamp, led by Janakiram MSV, a Microsoft Regional Director, will include presentations as well as hands-on demos and comprehensive walkthroughs.
Sep. 2, 2015 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 383
With the proliferation of connected devices underpinning new Internet of Things systems, Brandon Schulz, Director of Luxoft IoT – Retail, will be looking at the transformation of the retail customer experience in brick and mortar stores in his session at @ThingsExpo. Questions he will address include: Will beacons drop to the wayside like QR codes, or be a proximity-based profit driver? How will the customer experience change in stores of all types when everything can be instrumented and analyzed? As an area of investment, how might a retail company move towards an innovation methodolo...
Sep. 2, 2015 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 496
As more intelligent IoT applications shift into gear, they’re merging into the ever-increasing traffic flow of the Internet. It won’t be long before we experience bottlenecks, as IoT traffic peaks during rush hours. Organizations that are unprepared will find themselves by the side of the road unable to cross back into the fast lane. As billions of new devices begin to communicate and exchange data – will your infrastructure be scalable enough to handle this new interconnected world?
Sep. 2, 2015 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 187
The Internet of Things is in the early stages of mainstream deployment but it promises to unlock value and rapidly transform how organizations manage, operationalize, and monetize their assets. IoT is a complex structure of hardware, sensors, applications, analytics and devices that need to be able to communicate geographically and across all functions. Once the data is collected from numerous endpoints, the challenge then becomes converting it into actionable insight.
Sep. 2, 2015 09:00 AM EDT
Contrary to mainstream media attention, the multiple possibilities of how consumer IoT will transform our everyday lives aren’t the only angle of this headline-gaining trend. There’s a huge opportunity for “industrial IoT” and “Smart Cities” to impact the world in the same capacity – especially during critical situations. For example, a community water dam that needs to release water can leverage embedded critical communications logic to alert the appropriate individuals, on the right device, as soon as they are needed to take action.
Sep. 2, 2015 08:45 AM EDT
As more and more data is generated from a variety of connected devices, the need to get insights from this data and predict future behavior and trends is increasingly essential for businesses. Real-time stream processing is needed in a variety of different industries such as Manufacturing, Oil and Gas, Automobile, Finance, Online Retail, Smart Grids, and Healthcare. Azure Stream Analytics is a fully managed distributed stream computation service that provides low latency, scalable processing of streaming data in the cloud with an enterprise grade SLA. It features built-in integration with Azur...
Sep. 2, 2015 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 311
SYS-CON Events announced today that the "Second Containers & Microservices Expo" will take place November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Containers and microservices have become topics of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities.
Sep. 2, 2015 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 617
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pythian, a global IT services company specializing in helping companies leverage disruptive technologies to optimize revenue-generating systems, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 17th Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Founded in 1997, Pythian is a global IT services company that helps companies compete by adopting disruptive technologies such as cloud, Big Data, advanced analytics, and DevOps to advance innovation and increase agility. Specializing in designing, imple...
Sep. 2, 2015 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 343
WebRTC has had a real tough three or four years, and so have those working with it. Only a few short years ago, the development world were excited about WebRTC and proclaiming how awesome it was. You might have played with the technology a couple of years ago, only to find the extra infrastructure requirements were painful to implement and poorly documented. This probably left a bitter taste in your mouth, especially when things went wrong.
Sep. 2, 2015 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 485
Through WebRTC, audio and video communications are being embedded more easily than ever into applications, helping carriers, enterprises and independent software vendors deliver greater functionality to their end users. With today’s business world increasingly focused on outcomes, users’ growing calls for ease of use, and businesses craving smarter, tighter integration, what’s the next step in delivering a richer, more immersive experience? That richer, more fully integrated experience comes about through a Communications Platform as a Service which allows for messaging, screen sharing, video...
Sep. 2, 2015 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 711
SYS-CON Events announced today that IceWarp will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. IceWarp, the leader of cloud and on-premise messaging, delivers secured email, chat, documents, conferencing and collaboration to today's mobile workforce, all in one unified interface
Sep. 1, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 453