|By Business Wire||
|May 5, 2014 03:00 AM EDT||
American Industrial Systems, Inc. (AIS), the leading designer and manufacturer of open platform operator interfaces, touchscreens and panel PCs, announces its HMI design for manufacturability services for the new IEC 62368-1 hazard-based standard that will replace both IEC 60065 (Safety of AV Equipment) and IEC 60950-1 (Safety of Information & Communication Technology Equipment). The IEC 62368-1 Second Edition CB Certificates and Standards represent a major change or shift in focus in how the standards are being developed. The traditional prescriptive standards focuses on establishing a set of written rules to be followed, whereas the new hazards-based standard is focused on identifying safety hazards in the early product development phase and designing the product to eliminate them – and providing more performance options to demonstrate compliance to the standards. These new hazards-based testing methods require a more comprehensive and holistic approach to Design for Manufacturability, in which AIS already has tremendous expertise, in-house capabilities and services for over the past decade.
IEC EN UL CSA 62368-1 Hazard Based Safety Standard, Human Machine Interface (HMI) Operator Interfaces and Panel PCs (Photo: Business Wire)
In the next five years, the predominant approach to safety engineering will significant shift from prescriptive rules to a new hazard-based concept, with more performance-based options. The new hazards-based standard is expected to be advantageous for AIS who designs, engineers and manufacturers highly advanced, reliable and safe open-based platform PC-based HMIs for their customers. Their Design for Manufacturability Services (DMS) and capabilities for open platform HMIs are focused on hazard-based principles, which are more performance-based requirements (vs. prescriptive) and their ability to better consider and incorporate innovative HMI and visualization systems design and construction.
IEC 62368-1 and Standards Will Affect Compliance, Certification & Standards Testing for HMI Manufacturers
In the ever-changing world of digital technology, safety standards for high-tech products are constantly being updated or developed to reflect new changes. Manufacturers need to transition their approach and stay abreast of ongoing developments of both the current standards (60065 & 60950) and IEC & UL/CSA 62368-1, the alternative to those traditional safety standards. As a leader in operation, control, monitoring and visualization technologies, standards and compliance testing are critical components to AIS’s overall new product development process. AIS is addressing these new standards requirements by now testing to meet IEC 62368-1 Safety Standards and Certifications for Information & Communication Technology Equipment.
The IEC 62368-1 – Audio/Video, Information and Communication Technology Equipment – Safety Requirements – has been an IEC standard since early 2010. The new approach, based on Hazard-Based Safety Engineering (HBSE), has the added benefit of better facilitating the introduction of new and innovative methods of construction and technology without first requiring amendment of the relevant standards to accommodate it. The new standards cover a wide range of high-tech products, including: computing and networking products, consumer electronics, displays and display units, telecommunication products, office appliances, musical instruments and similar varieties of audio/video, information and communication technology equipment.
AIS’s Open Platform HMI Product Development Teams Focus on Testing & Meeting Changing Standards, Certifications & Compliance Requirements
Human machine interfaces (HMIs) have always played a critical role in enabling plant operators to monitor and perform critical control actions in an operational context as well as facilitating advanced visualization into supervisory and enterprise-level solutions. In order to design and manufacturer highly-reliable HMI systems that deliver safe, cost-effective and intuitive performance, the AIS DMS team relies on the application of engineering best practices throughout design, testing and quality assurance processes.
AIS foresee several trends in manufacturing plants and industrial facilities to change business. Internet-based (TCP/IP-enabled) technologies will continue to drive how HMIs are designed, engineered and manufactured in the future. With increasing product liabilities, standards, certifications and compliance, there will be a strong push for open-based HMI control and monitoring equipment that provide higher quality, higher reliability, more flexibility, and above all else, higher safety requirements. The process industry and applications such as food and beverage, pharmaceuticals and utilities and discrete manufacturing applications (such as general manufacturing, automotive, metals manufacturing, packaging, aerospace and defense, electronics and semiconductors and machine tools) are also factors in AIS’s product portfolio roadmap in the coming years.
AIS HMI Control and Monitoring Solutions Meet Future Expectations & Demands
AIS realizes user expectations of HMI capabilities are continuously changing. Some of the key shifts impacting the operating and monitoring functions in the industrial space, and how AIS is already meeting these demands with their product portfolio include the following:
Increased Demand for Comprehensive Certifications and Compliances
- cUL, cUL and IECEE CB Listed to Safety Standards and Certifications for Information & Communication Technology Equipment: UL 62368-1, CAN/CSA C22.2 No. 62368-1 and EN 62368-1
- UL, cUL and IECEE CB Listed to Safety Standards and Certifications for Measurement, Control, and Laboratory Electrical Equipment: UL 61010-1, UL 61010-2-201, CAN/CSA-C22.2 NO. 61010-1-12 and EN 61010-1
- UL and cUL Listed to Safety Standards: ANSI/ISA 12.12.01, 2012, Nonincendive Electrical Equipment for Use in Class 1, Division 2 Groups A, B, C, D Hazardous (Classified) Locations and CAN/CSA C22.2 No. 213-M1987 for Use in Class 1, Division 2 Hazardous Locations
- CE Ex Marked to Safety Standards: Explosive Atmospheres (ATEX)-Directive 2014/34/EU-Complying with the Essential Health and Safety Requirements that relate to the design of Zone 2 Category 3 Electrical Equipment, certified to ATEX Protection Classes- “CE Ex mark” II 3 G Ex nA ic IIA T4
- CE Marked to Safety Standards and Certifications for Information And Communication Technology Equipment: 2014/35/EU, EN 62368-1:2013
- Compliance with the Essential Health and Safety Requirements has been assured by Compliance with IEC 60079-0, IEC 60079-11, and IEC 60079-15
- Electromagnetic Emissions (EMC) Standards and Certifications: EU Directive 2014/30/EU, IEC EN 61000-3-3:2013, IEC EN 61000-6-4:2007/A1:2011, IEC EN 61000-4-11:2004, IEC EN 61000-4-3:2006+A1:2007+A2:2010, FCC 47 CFR Part 15 Class B, IECS-003 Class B, CISPR 22 Class B
- Electromagnetic Immunity (EMI) Standards and Certifications: EU Directive 2014/30/EU, IEC EN 61000-4-2:2009, IEC EN 61000-4-4:2012, IEC EN 61000-4-5:2006, IEC EN 61000-4-6:2014
- Environmental Standards and Certifications: 2011/65/EU (RoHS 2) and 2012/19/EU (WEEE)
- Compliance with the Shock and Vibration Requirements has been assured by Compliance with EN 60068-2-27:2009 and EN 60068-2-64:2008
- Compliance with the Chemical Resistance and Hygienic Equipment Requirements has been assured by Compliance with AISI 316L DIN 1.4435 and EN 1672-2:2005+A1:2009
- Compliance with the IP66 Degrees of Protection has been assured by Compliance with EN 60529
- Design with Risk Assessment of Machinery, Safety of Machinery and Safety Functions of Control Systems Requirements has been assured by Compliance with IEC ISO AWI 17305 and ISO TR 23849:2010 (EN ISO 12100, IEC EN 60204-1, IEC EN 61508, EN ISO 13849, IEC EN 62061)
Increased Demand for High Performance HMI Processor, Graphic, Memory and Power
- 4th Gen. Intel® Core™ i7-4650U processor with 4M cache, up to 3.30 GHz (Premium)
- High performance quad-core, Intel® Atom™ Processor E3845, 2M Cache, 1.91 GHz (Standard)
- High performance quad-core, Intel® Celeron® Processor N2920, 2M Cache, 1.86 GHz (Mobile)
- Intel HD Graphics supports DirectX 11.1, OpenCL/GL, and 4K videos Quick Sync encoder
- High memory bandwidth with DDR3L-1333/1600 (25.6 GB/s, up to 16 GB)
- 12 V to 24 V DC wide input-voltage range power supply (Premium and Standard)
- Hot-swappable Battery with 5300mAh or 10600mAh (Mobile)
Increased Demand for High Availability HMI Communication and Storage
- High speed USB 3.0 port for data transfer (4.8 Gbps), speeds up to 10x faster than 2.0
- High flexibility serial communication with multiple RS-232/422/485 I/O ports
- High reliability power and I/O ports with isolation protection
- High availability uplinks with 1 + 1 redundancy Gigabit Ethernet ports
- High availability data storage with 1 + 1 redundancy SSDs
Increased Demand for High Reliability HMI Touch Screen
- Surface durability zero-bezel: Touch screens meets pencil hardness 4H per ASTM D3363
- Touch screen input methods: Finger, gloved hand, or stylus activation
- Touch screen positional accuracy standard deviation error is less than 0.080 (2mm)
- Touch activation force typically less than 4 ounces (113 grams)
- High reliability LED backlight lifetime with 70K to 80K hours (half brightness)
Increased Demand for Rugged and Maintenance-Free
- Highly modular design with field-replaceable front panel and box PC modules
- Stainless steel bezel with IP66 sealing and chemical resistant surfaces
- Reduces installation time with removable HDD enclosure and easily accessible PCIe slot
- Highly robust design eliminates all moving parts by combining SSD and fan-less operation
- 0˚C to 50˚C (32˚F to 122˚F) wide operating temperature range (Premium and Standard models)
- -20 to 60°C (-4 to 140° F) wide operating temperature range (Mobile)
Increased Demand for Comprehensive Operating System Software & Services
- Offering complete software design, coding, testing, and documentation services
- System drivers, BIOS, and embedded firmware software design
- Supports Windows Standard 7 Embedded 64-bit and Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
- Supports Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry, Windows Embedded 8.1 Pro and Windows Embedded 8 Standard
- Supports Linux and Android
Headquartered in Irvine, California, USA, American Industrial Systems, Inc. (AIS) offers in-house electronic and mechanical design, software development, Manufacturing, Production and Quality Control Services. Offering one of the widest ranges of Industrial Computing solutions, AIS solutions are available in a multitude of configurations for Industrial, Oil & Gas, Military and Marine applications.
The company is fully committed to empowering, improving and delivering turnkey HMI, monitoring and display solutions for OEM, ODM and end-user customers. AIS is an ISO 9001:2008 certified supplier and manufacturer of rugged computers and displays, and received completion of the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) registration from the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC). For more information, visit: www.aispro.com, email: [email protected] or contact: 1-888-485-6688.
SYS-CON Events announced today that 24Notion has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. 24Notion is full-service global creative digital marketing, technology and lifestyle agency that combines strategic ideas with customized tactical execution. With a broad understand of the art of traditional marketing, new media, communications and social influence, 24Notion uniquely understands how to con...
May. 24, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,659
The essence of data analysis involves setting up data pipelines that consist of several operations that are chained together – starting from data collection, data quality checks, data integration, data analysis and data visualization (including the setting up of interaction paths in that visualization). In our opinion, the challenges stem from the technology diversity at each stage of the data pipeline as well as the lack of process around the analysis.
May. 24, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 752
The demand for organizations to expand their infrastructure to multiple IT environments like the cloud, on-premise, mobile, bring your own device (BYOD) and the Internet of Things (IoT) continues to grow. As this hybrid infrastructure increases, the challenge to monitor the security of these systems increases in volume and complexity. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stephen Coty, Chief Security Evangelist at Alert Logic, will show how properly configured and managed security architecture can...
May. 24, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,920
What a difference a year makes. Organizations aren’t just talking about IoT possibilities, it is now baked into their core business strategy. With IoT, billions of devices generating data from different companies on different networks around the globe need to interact. From efficiency to better customer insights to completely new business models, IoT will turn traditional business models upside down. In the new customer-centric age, the key to success is delivering critical services and apps wit...
May. 24, 2016 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 492
When it comes to IoT in the enterprise, namely the commercial building and hospitality markets, a benefit not getting the attention it deserves is energy efficiency, and IoT's direct impact on a cleaner, greener environment when installed in smart buildings. Until now clean technology was offered piecemeal and led with point solutions that require significant systems integration to orchestrate and deploy. There didn't exist a 'top down' approach that can manage and monitor the way a Smart Buildi...
May. 24, 2016 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,018
SYS-CON Events announced today BZ Media LLC has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. BZ Media LLC is a high-tech media company that produces technical conferences and expositions, and publishes a magazine, newsletters and websites in the software development, SharePoint, mobile development and Commercial Drone markets.
May. 24, 2016 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,363
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, will discuss the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to fo...
May. 24, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,375
SYS-CON Events announced today TechTarget has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. TechTarget is the Web’s leading destination for serious technology buyers researching and making enterprise technology decisions. Its extensive global networ...
May. 24, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,993
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York and Silicon Valley. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty ...
May. 23, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,606
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit y...
May. 23, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,813
SYS-CON Events announced today that ContentMX, the marketing technology and services company with a singular mission to increase engagement and drive more conversations for enterprise, channel and SMB technology marketers, has been named “Sponsor & Exhibitor Lounge Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York. “CloudExpo is a great opportunity to start a conversation with new prospects, but what happens after the...
May. 23, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 604
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo New York Call for Papers is now open.
May. 23, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,656
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, will provide an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life ...
May. 23, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,693
There are several IoTs: the Industrial Internet, Consumer Wearables, Wearables and Healthcare, Supply Chains, and the movement toward Smart Grids, Cities, Regions, and Nations. There are competing communications standards every step of the way, a bewildering array of sensors and devices, and an entire world of competing data analytics platforms. To some this appears to be chaos. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists will discuss the vast to...
May. 23, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,332
SYS-CON Events announced today that Enzu, a leading provider of cloud hosting solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Enzu’s mission is to be the leading provider of enterprise cloud solutions worldwide. Enzu enables online businesses to use its IT infrastructure to their competitive advantage. By offering a suite of proven hosting and management services, Enzu wants companies to foc...
May. 23, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,053
Customer experience has become a competitive differentiator for companies, and it’s imperative that brands seamlessly connect the customer journey across all platforms. With the continued explosion of IoT, join us for a look at how to build a winning digital foundation in the connected era – today and in the future. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Nguyen, Group Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how to successfully leverage mobile, rapidly deploy content, capture real-time d...
May. 23, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,323
IoT generates lots of temporal data. But how do you unlock its value? How do you coordinate the diverse moving parts that must come together when developing your IoT product? What are the key challenges addressed by Data as a Service? How does cloud computing underlie and connect the notions of Digital and DevOps What is the impact of the API economy? What is the business imperative for Cognitive Computing? Get all these questions and hundreds more like them answered at the 18th Cloud Expo...
May. 23, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,027
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
May. 23, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,787
Whether your IoT service is connecting cars, homes, appliances, wearable, cameras or other devices, one question hangs in the balance – how do you actually make money from this service? The ability to turn your IoT service into profit requires the ability to create a monetization strategy that is flexible, scalable and working for you in real-time. It must be a transparent, smoothly implemented strategy that all stakeholders – from customers to the board – will be able to understand and comprehe...
May. 23, 2016 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,371
Korean Broadcasting System (KBS) will feature the upcoming 18th Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo in a New York news documentary about the "New IT for the Future." The documentary will cover how big companies are transmitting or adopting the new IT for the future and will be filmed on the expo floor between June 7-June 9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York. KBS has long been a leader in the development of the broadcasting culture of Korea. As the key public service broadcaster of Korea...
May. 23, 2016 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,668