|By Business Wire||
|June 3, 2014 09:01 AM EDT||
Dell today announced it has extended its longstanding collaboration with SAP and is introducing several new Dell solutions that enable customers to simplify their environments running SAP® solutions without business disruption, moving to a real-time cloud-ready platform that applies the right level of performance to the needs of the application.
By extending its leadership to open-architecture and virtualized environments, leveraging unique IP from its software acquisitions and introducing new service offerings, the new Dell solutions help customers make more strategic business decisions and get a better handle on rising data demands.
Dell’s PowerEdge R920 has been certified by SAP for scale-up deployments of the SAP HANA® platform, which allows easy scaling of server memory capacity in deployments and helps reduce the need to “rip and replace” when systems are upgraded. This gives customers the ability to buy what they need today, with the confidence that their infrastructure can keep pace as their needs increase.
In collaboration with VMware and Red Hat, Dell is helping customers move their SAP solutions closer to the cloud with new virtual-environment and broader open-architecture support for SAP HANA. This gives customers the freedom to incorporate modern technologies into their mission-critical application environments without having to choose between price and performance. The new offerings include:
- Support for virtualized instances of SAP HANA in production environments: All single-server appliances for SAP HANA based on the Dell PowerEdge R920 now fully support SAP HANA and VMware vSphere® 5.5 in production environments. By extending the capabilities of SAP HANA and VMware vSphere beyond testing and development, customers can now further manage their environments running SAP HANA using the same tools they use to manage their VMware-virtualized datacenter, saving time and IT costs.
- Support for running SAP HANA on Red Hat Enterprise Linux: To maintain consistency in customers’ server environments, Dell worked with SAP to certify the PowerEdge R920 with Red Hat Enterprise Linux, in addition to SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for running SAP HANA. Customers now have the option to choose the operating system that best suits their data-center standards and needs, allowing for better allocation of limited resources.
In addition, the Dell PowerEdge R920 and R910 servers have been certified by SAP to run SAP HANA and Dell Compellent storage has been certified as a storage solution for SAP HANA. These certifications enable Dell to participate in SAP’s program for SAP HANA tailored data center integration using these certified solutions. Through participation in the program, customers can leverage their existing Dell hardware and infrastructure components for their SAP HANA-based environments, providing further choice for organizations even when working in heterogeneous environments.
Dell’s other recent database achievements in support of SAP solutions include:
- World record-performance on two-tier SAP Sales and Distribution (SD) standard application benchmark for both two- and four-processor systems running Linux and SAP Adaptive Server® Enterprise (SAP ASE)*.
- Extensive integration achieved between Hadoop and SAP HANA, as well as reference architectures for the analysis of unstructured data.
Dell introduces non-disruptive transformation services for environments running SAP solutions
Dell Services announced two new offerings for SAP solutions that ease and accelerate the modernization of mission-critical environments, enabling customers to update and overhaul their technology infrastructure to support more agile business-oriented landscapes and reduce total cost of ownership (TCO).
- Dell ZeroIMPACT Migration Services for SAP HANA: Customers can transition from outdated IT environments to contemporary environments, including those running SAP HANA, with minimal downtime and reduced risk. After evaluating legacy and new environments side-by-side, the legacy environment continues running while migration activities take place. Dell’s enterprise software solutions, including SharePlex and Foglight, capture and queue all transactions occurring during the migration and then sync them to the migrated system.
- Dell Test Harness Modernization Assessment for SAP HANA: By providing a side-by-side database comparison with SAP HANA and Dell’s Managed Virtual Hosting Datacenter, customers can perform technical validation in less than four weeks, improve business efficiency and achieve higher return on investment by getting more value from their implementations of SAP HANA.
Dell unveils specialized manufacturing solution
Dell is expanding its support of SAP HANA into the manufacturing environment with its Dell Services Shop Floor solution. This solution integrates with the SAP Manufacturing Integration and Intelligence (SAP MII) and SAP Manufacturing Execution applications on SAP HANA, and is deployable on standard or ruggedized Dell Venue Pro tablet devices running Windows 8 software and Microsoft Office 365. This provides enterprise and plant personnel with the intelligence and visibility to respond quickly to disruptions in the manufacturing process and provide them with the information and tools required to return the process to conformance. It also enables customers to:
- Create a paperless shop and digitize business processes with Dell Venue Pro tablets running Windows 8 software
- Standardize enterprise resource planning (ERP) and third party-system connectivity
- Integrate machine data across multiple platforms into a cohesive landscape, available for predictive analytics
Dell Services Shop Floor solutions help accelerate innovation, produce quality products at high profit margins and reduce the cost and effort of compliance. By combining Dell’s cross-industry experiences, the ability to resell SAP software, and deploy hardware solutions to core implementation services, Dell is positioned to be an all-in-one provider for any manufacturing environment and is further executing on its strategy to be an end-to-end solution provider to customers.
Availability and Additional Information:
- Dell will be exhibiting in booth 217 at the SAPPHIRE® NOW conference being held June 3-5 in Orlando, Fla.
- Dell support for SAP HANA and Red Hat Enterprise Linux is scheduled to be available worldwide in the third quarter of 2014; Dell support for SAP HANA and VMware vSphere 5.5 on the PowerEdge R920 is scheduled to be available worldwide in June.
- Dell SAP Shop Floor solutions are currently available in North America, EMEA and India.
- For more information about Dell solutions and services for SAP HANA, please visit here.
About Dell Inc.
Dell Inc. listens to customers and delivers innovative technology and services that give them the power to do more. For more information, visit www.dell.com.
* Benchmark results based on best SAP SD Two-Tier results as of April 2014. For the four-processor system, the number of SAP SD benchmark users Dell achieved was 25,451 with the following configuration: Dell PowerEdge R920, 4 processors / 60 cores/ 120 threads, Intel Xeon Processor E7-4890 v2, 2.80 GHz, 64 KB L1 cache and 256 KB L2 cache per core, 37.5 MB L3 cache per processor, 1024 GB main memory (SAP certification number 2014011). For the two-processor system, the number of SAP SD benchmark users Dell achieved was 10,253 with the following configuration: Dell PowerEdge R720, 2 processors / 24 cores / 48 threads, Intel Xeon Processor E5-2697 v2, 2.70 GHz, 64 KB L1 cache and 256 KB L2 cache per core, 30 MB L3 cache per processor, 256 GB main memory (SAP certification number 2014017). For the latest SAP SD Two-Tier results, visit http://global.sap.com/solutions/benchmark/sd2tier.epx
Dell and Dell PowerEdge are trademarks of Dell Inc. Dell disclaims any proprietary interest in the marks and names of others.
SAP, SAP HANA, Adaptive Server, SAPPHIRE and all SAP logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of SAP AG in Germany and in several other countries.
VMware and vSphere are registered trademarks or trademarks of VMware, Inc. in the United States and other jurisdictions. The use of the word “partner” or “partnership” does not imply a legal partnership relationship between VMware and any other company.
All other product and service names mentioned are the trademarks of their respective companies.
The 3rd International Internet of @ThingsExpo, co-located with the 16th International Cloud Expo - to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY - announces that its Call for Papers is now open. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the biggest idea since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago.
Feb. 1, 2015 04:15 PM EST Reads: 5,469
Technology is enabling a new approach to collecting and using data. This approach, commonly referred to as the "Internet of Things" (IoT), enables businesses to use real-time data from all sorts of things including machines, devices and sensors to make better decisions, improve customer service, and lower the risk in the creation of new revenue opportunities. In his General Session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Dave Wagstaff, Vice President and Chief Architect at BSQUARE Corporation, discuss the real benefits to focus on, how to understand the requirements of a successful solution, the flow of ...
Feb. 1, 2015 03:45 PM EST Reads: 4,446
"People are a lot more knowledgeable about APIs now. There are two types of people who work with APIs - IT people who want to use APIs for something internal and the product managers who want to do something outside APIs for people to connect to them," explained Roberto Medrano, Executive Vice President at SOA Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Feb. 1, 2015 02:30 PM EST Reads: 4,707
We’re no longer looking to the future for the IoT wave. It’s no longer a distant dream but a reality that has arrived. It’s now time to make sure the industry is in alignment to meet the IoT growing pains – cooperate and collaborate as well as innovate. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jim Hunter, Chief Scientist & Technology Evangelist at Greenwave Systems, will examine the key ingredients to IoT success and identify solutions to challenges the industry is facing. The deep industry expertise behind this presentation will provide attendees with a leading edge view of rapidly emerging IoT oppor...
Feb. 1, 2015 01:45 PM EST Reads: 3,031
In this Women in Technology Power Panel at 15th Cloud Expo, moderated by Anne Plese, Senior Consultant, Cloud Product Marketing at Verizon Enterprise, Esmeralda Swartz, CMO at MetraTech; Evelyn de Souza, Data Privacy and Compliance Strategy Leader at Cisco Systems; Seema Jethani, Director of Product Management at Basho Technologies; Victoria Livschitz, CEO of Qubell Inc.; Anne Hungate, Senior Director of Software Quality at DIRECTV, discussed what path they took to find their spot within the technology industry and how do they see opportunities for other women in their area of expertise.
Feb. 1, 2015 01:45 PM EST Reads: 3,945
DevOps Summit 2015 New York, co-located with the 16th International Cloud Expo - to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY - announces that it is now accepting Keynote Proposals. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long development cycles that produce software that is obsolete at launch. DevOps may be disruptive, but it is essential.
Feb. 1, 2015 01:15 PM EST Reads: 4,681
The Industrial Internet revolution is now underway, enabled by connected machines and billions of devices that communicate and collaborate. The massive amounts of Big Data requiring real-time analysis is flooding legacy IT systems and giving way to cloud environments that can handle the unpredictable workloads. Yet many barriers remain until we can fully realize the opportunities and benefits from the convergence of machines and devices with Big Data and the cloud, including interoperability, data security and privacy.
Feb. 1, 2015 01:00 PM EST Reads: 4,759
Wearable devices have come of age. The primary applications of wearables so far have been "the Quantified Self" or the tracking of one's fitness and health status. We propose the evolution of wearables into social and emotional communication devices. Our BE(tm) sensor uses light to visualize the skin conductance response. Our sensors are very inexpensive and can be massively distributed to audiences or groups of any size, in order to gauge reactions to performances, video, or any kind of presentation. In her session at @ThingsExpo, Jocelyn Scheirer, CEO & Founder of Bionolux, will discuss ho...
Feb. 1, 2015 01:00 PM EST Reads: 3,240
Feb. 1, 2015 12:00 PM EST Reads: 10,928
Connected devices and the Internet of Things are getting significant momentum in 2014. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Jim Hunter, Chief Scientist & Technology Evangelist at Greenwave Systems, examined three key elements that together will drive mass adoption of the IoT before the end of 2015. The first element is the recent advent of robust open source protocols (like AllJoyn and WebRTC) that facilitate M2M communication. The second is broad availability of flexible, cost-effective storage designed to handle the massive surge in back-end data in a world where timely analytics is e...
Feb. 1, 2015 12:00 PM EST Reads: 4,944
ARMONK, N.Y., Nov. 20, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- IBM (NYSE: IBM) today announced that it is bringing a greater level of control, security and flexibility to cloud-based application development and delivery with a single-tenant version of Bluemix, IBM's platform-as-a-service. The new platform enables developers to build ap...
Feb. 1, 2015 11:15 AM EST Reads: 5,627
Building low-cost wearable devices can enhance the quality of our lives. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Sai Yamanoor, Embedded Software Engineer at Altschool, provided an example of putting together a small keychain within a $50 budget that educates the user about the air quality in their surroundings. He also provided examples such as building a wearable device that provides transit or recreational information. He then reviewed the resources available to build wearable devices at home including open source hardware, the raw materials required and the options available to power s...
Feb. 1, 2015 11:00 AM EST Reads: 4,230
The Internet of Things promises to transform businesses (and lives), but navigating the business and technical path to success can be difficult to understand. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sean Lorenz, Technical Product Manager for Xively at LogMeIn, demonstrated how to approach creating broadly successful connected customer solutions using real world business transformation studies including New England BioLabs and more.
Feb. 1, 2015 10:45 AM EST Reads: 4,935
Since 2008 and for the first time in history, more than half of humans live in urban areas, urging cities to become “smart.” Today, cities can leverage the wide availability of smartphones combined with new technologies such as Beacons or NFC to connect their urban furniture and environment to create citizen-first services that improve transportation, way-finding and information delivery. In her session at @ThingsExpo, Laetitia Gazel-Anthoine, CEO of Connecthings, will focus on successful use cases.
Feb. 1, 2015 10:15 AM EST Reads: 3,365
The Internet of Things is a misnomer. That implies that everything is on the Internet, and that simply should not be - especially for things that are blurring the line between medical devices that stimulate like a pacemaker and quantified self-sensors like a pedometer or pulse tracker. The mesh of things that we manage must be segmented into zones of trust for sensing data, transmitting data, receiving command and control administrative changes, and peer-to-peer mesh messaging. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ryan Bagnulo, Solution Architect / Software Engineer at SOA Software, focused on desi...
Feb. 1, 2015 10:00 AM EST Reads: 4,288
Enthusiasm for the Internet of Things has reached an all-time high. In 2013 alone, venture capitalists spent more than $1 billion dollars investing in the IoT space. With "smart" appliances and devices, IoT covers wearable smart devices, cloud services to hardware companies. Nest, a Google company, detects temperatures inside homes and automatically adjusts it by tracking its user's habit. These technologies are quickly developing and with it come challenges such as bridging infrastructure gaps, abiding by privacy concerns and making the concept a reality. These challenges can't be addressed w...
Feb. 1, 2015 10:00 AM EST Reads: 4,851
The Domain Name Service (DNS) is one of the most important components in networking infrastructure, enabling users and services to access applications by translating URLs (names) into IP addresses (numbers). Because every icon and URL and all embedded content on a website requires a DNS lookup loading complex sites necessitates hundreds of DNS queries. In addition, as more internet-enabled ‘Things' get connected, people will rely on DNS to name and find their fridges, toasters and toilets. According to a recent IDG Research Services Survey this rate of traffic will only grow. What's driving t...
Feb. 1, 2015 10:00 AM EST Reads: 5,189
"For over 25 years we have been working with a lot of enterprise customers and we have seen how companies create applications. And now that we have moved to cloud computing, mobile, social and the Internet of Things, we see that the market needs a new way of creating applications," stated Jesse Shiah, CEO, President and Co-Founder of AgilePoint Inc., in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 15th Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Feb. 1, 2015 09:30 AM EST Reads: 3,844
The Internet of Things is tied together with a thin strand that is known as time. Coincidentally, at the core of nearly all data analytics is a timestamp. When working with time series data there are a few core principles that everyone should consider, especially across datasets where time is the common boundary. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Jim Scott, Director of Enterprise Strategy & Architecture at MapR Technologies, discussed single-value, geo-spatial, and log time series data. By focusing on enterprise applications and the data center, he will use OpenTSDB as an example t...
Feb. 1, 2015 06:45 AM EST Reads: 5,237
The industrial software market has treated data with the mentality of “collect everything now, worry about how to use it later.” We now find ourselves buried in data, with the pervasive connectivity of the (Industrial) Internet of Things only piling on more numbers. There’s too much data and not enough information. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Bob Gates, Global Marketing Director, GE’s Intelligent Platforms business, to discuss how realizing the power of IoT, software developers are now focused on understanding how industrial data can create intelligence for industrial operations. Imagine ...
Feb. 1, 2015 06:30 AM EST Reads: 3,117