|By Josh Mazgelis||
|June 25, 2014 03:18 PM EDT||
OK, I’m excited. The latest release of Neverfail IT Continuity Architect has landed with some of our most requested features and we just can’t wait for you to try it out for yourselves. When I got walked through a demo of the new features last week I knew this was going to be a big step forward for our new IT business continuity product.
If you’re not already familiar with IT Continuity Architect (sometimes called ITCA or simply “Architect”) then let me tell you briefly what it can do for you. Right from the start, Architect helps you establish exactly what you have in place today for computing infrastructure, applications, and most importantly, Disaster Recovery (DR) solutions for those applications and data. Once you define your Service Level Agreements (SLA) tiers for Recovery Time Objective (RTO) and Recovery Point Objective (RPO) and start assigning protection tiers to your business applications, Architect creates a gap analysis between where you are with DR capabilities and where your SLAs state you want to be. Architect ensures that your IT recovery plans will meet business expectations and highlights any gaps in your protection plan so that they can be addressed quickly. Architect also provide ongoing monitoring of IT continuity, alerting you to changes in the environment, faults in DR implementations, and adherence to availability SLAs. There’s a lot more to it, but that should give you an idea of how IT Continuity Architect helps simplify an otherwise complex and time-consuming assignment.
Now, what is it that changed in this new release? I’m so glad you asked! There’s quite a bit, really, but these are the big things that really got me excited about this release:
- Virtualization platform agnostic deployment and management support
- Architect virtual appliance can now be deployed on any virtualization platform of choice (e.g. Hyper-V, Xen, VirtualBox, etc.) and no longer requires a VMware vCenter Server or VMware vSphere environment for installation. In addition, Architect can now also be managed from a standalone web-browser interface that eliminates the need for it to be accessed as plugin to the VMware vSphere Web Client.
- Role-Based access control
- Architect now supports role-based access controls that include “Administrator” level privileges that allow full access to all operations available within Architect, as well limited “read-only” privileges that enable users to view Architect inventory, configuration, and reports, but prevents them from changing any configuration.
- VMware vSphere thick client support
- In addition to being managed via a plugin to the VMware vSphere Web Client, Architect can now also be managed via a plugin to the traditional VMware vSphere thick client. Or, of course, you can skip the client and use the standalone web-browser interface mentioned above.
- Automatic discovery and tiering of common business services
- Upon deployment, Architect can automatically discover common business services and based on dependency assessment, auto-assign them to Protection Tiers. Application categories such as databases, communication, and web services can be automatically discovered by Architect.
- Linux blueprinting support
- Architect now supports blueprinting of Linux operating systems. A number of Linux platforms have been explicitly tested and certified against Architect. Other Linux platforms are also likely to be discovered and analyzed by Architect, even though they have not been explicitly tested as part of this release.
- Email based Alerts
- Architect now allows alerts generated by its monitoring services to be sent as notifications to configured email addresses. These primarily include alerts associated with any changes in SLA or availability status.
- Scheduling and Email Delivery of Reports
- Architect enables automatic generation of reports pertaining to dashboard summary views, alerts status and protection overview on a scheduled basis to be delivered via email to designated recipients.
- Network traffic accounting
- Architect can now capture and report on network statistics pertaining to incoming and outgoing traffic for all systems that can be successfully blueprinted.
- Inventory support for other non-certified BCDR protection technologies
- Architect now offers partial support for other BCDR protection technology solutions that cannot be automatically detected by its blueprinting process. This allows users to define custom protection technologies associated with these non-certified protection technologies, manually configure protection assessment as appropriate and assign these custom technologies to the respective entities. This allows for a more holistic protection assessment baselining process across the entire Architect discovered inventory.
- Filtering enhancements
- In the Architect Environment list page, users can now selectively filter the inventory list based on protection technology as well as operating system (OS) platform.
- Hidden entities
- Architect allows users to hide entities from the inventory that are not important for assessment of BCDR protection gaps or from an SLA management point of view. Users can also choose to unhide any hidden entities on demand as business needs change.
I’ve talked to a lot of people about IT Continuity Architect and worked on a lot of demos myself as well. These features really are great enhancements to the product. Being able to work independently of a VMware environment and being able to manually define protection types and capabilities for solutions that we don’t yet automatically classify are probably two of the biggest requests, right up there with automatic notifications and scheduled reporting. Whether you’re building DR plans for your own enterprise IT or private cloud, or if you’re providing BC/DR services to your clients or subscribers, Neverfail IT Continuity Architect helps make easy work out of a daunting task. Download a trial and get started today!
Data is an unusual currency; it is not restricted by the same transactional limitations as money or people. In fact, the more that you leverage your data across multiple business use cases, the more valuable it becomes to the organization. And the same can be said about the organization’s analytics. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bill Schmarzo, CTO for the Big Data Practice at EMC, will introduce a methodology for capturing, enriching and sharing data (and analytics) across the organizati...
Sep. 24, 2016 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,587
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Sep. 24, 2016 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,317
I'm a lonely sensor. I spend all day telling the world how I'm feeling, but none of the other sensors seem to care. I want to be connected. I want to build relationships with other sensors to be more useful for my human. I want my human to understand that when my friends next door are too hot for a while, I'll soon be flaming. And when all my friends go outside without me, I may be left behind. Don't just log my data; use the relationship graph. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ryan Boyd, Engi...
Sep. 24, 2016 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,190
The vision of a connected smart home is becoming reality with the application of integrated wireless technologies in devices and appliances. The use of standardized and TCP/IP networked wireless technologies in line-powered and battery operated sensors and controls has led to the adoption of radios in the 2.4GHz band, including Wi-Fi, BT/BLE and 802.15.4 applied ZigBee and Thread. This is driving the need for robust wireless coexistence for multiple radios to ensure throughput performance and th...
Sep. 24, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,434
The Internet of Things can drive efficiency for airlines and airports. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Sudip Majumder, senior director of development at Oracle, will discuss the technical details of the connected airline baggage and related social media solutions. These IoT applications will enhance travelers' journey experience and drive efficiency for the airlines and the airports. The session will include a working demo and a technical d...
Sep. 24, 2016 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,644
SYS-CON Events announced today the Enterprise IoT Bootcamp, being held November 1-2, 2016, in conjunction with 19th Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the Enterprise IoT Bootcamp is not just based on presentations but with hands-on demos and detailed walkthroughs. We will introduce you to a variety of real world use cases prototyped using Arduino, Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone, Spark, and Intel Edison. Y...
Sep. 24, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,778
Fact is, enterprises have significant legacy voice infrastructure that’s costly to replace with pure IP solutions. How can we bring this analog infrastructure into our shiny new cloud applications? There are proven methods to bind both legacy voice applications and traditional PSTN audio into cloud-based applications and services at a carrier scale. Some of the most successful implementations leverage WebRTC, WebSockets, SIP and other open source technologies. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Da...
Sep. 24, 2016 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,469
If you’re responsible for an application that depends on the data or functionality of various IoT endpoints – either sensors or devices – your brand reputation depends on the security, reliability, and compliance of its many integrated parts. If your application fails to deliver the expected business results, your customers and partners won't care if that failure stems from the code you developed or from a component that you integrated. What can you do to ensure that the endpoints work as expect...
Sep. 24, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,502
Information technology is an industry that has always experienced change, and the dramatic change sweeping across the industry today could not be truthfully described as the first time we've seen such widespread change impacting customer investments. However, the rate of the change, and the potential outcomes from today's digital transformation has the distinct potential to separate the industry into two camps: Organizations that see the change coming, embrace it, and successful leverage it; and...
Sep. 24, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,023
SYS-CON Events announced today that China Unicom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. China United Network Communications Group Co. Ltd ("China Unicom") was officially established in 2009 on the basis of the merger of former China Netcom and former China Unicom. China Unicom mainly operates a full range of telecommunications services including mobile broadband (GSM, WCDMA, LTE F...
Sep. 24, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,673
Enterprise IT has been in the era of Hybrid Cloud for some time now. But it seems most conversations about Hybrid are focused on integrating AWS, Microsoft Azure, or Google ECM into existing on-premises systems. Where is all the Private Cloud? What do technology providers need to do to make their offerings more compelling? How should enterprise IT executives and buyers define their focus, needs, and roadmap, and communicate that clearly to the providers?
Sep. 24, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,480
The Transparent Cloud-computing Consortium (abbreviation: T-Cloud Consortium) will conduct research activities into changes in the computing model as a result of collaboration between "device" and "cloud" and the creation of new value and markets through organic data processing High speed and high quality networks, and dramatic improvements in computer processing capabilities, have greatly changed the nature of applications and made the storing and processing of data on the network commonplace.
Sep. 24, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 751
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Sep. 24, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 761
Digital innovation is the next big wave of business transformation based on digital technologies of which IoT and Big Data are key components, For example: Business boundary innovation is a challenge to excavate third-party business value using IoT and BigData, like Nest Business structure innovation may propose re-building business structure from scratch, as Uber does in the taxicab industry The social model innovation is also a big challenge to the new social architecture with the design fr...
Sep. 24, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,027
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pulzze Systems will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Pulzze Systems, Inc. provides infrastructure products for the Internet of Things to enable any connected device and system to carry out matched operations without programming. For more information, visit http://www.pulzzesystems.com.
Sep. 24, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,719
IoT is fundamentally transforming the auto industry, turning the vehicle into a hub for connected services, including safety, infotainment and usage-based insurance. Auto manufacturers – and businesses across all verticals – have built an entire ecosystem around the Connected Car, creating new customer touch points and revenue streams. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Macario Namie, Head of IoT Strategy at Cisco Jasper, will share real-world examples of how IoT transforms the car from a static p...
Sep. 24, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,471
Big Data has been changing the world. IoT fuels the further transformation recently. How are Big Data and IoT related? In his session at @BigDataExpo, Tony Shan, a renowned visionary and thought leader, will explore the interplay of Big Data and IoT. He will anatomize Big Data and IoT separately in terms of what, which, why, where, when, who, how and how much. He will then analyze the relationship between IoT and Big Data, specifically the drilldown of how the 4Vs of Big Data (Volume, Variety,...
Sep. 24, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 911
The many IoT deployments around the world are busy integrating smart devices and sensors into their enterprise IT infrastructures. Yet all of this technology – and there are an amazing number of choices – is of no use without the software to gather, communicate, and analyze the new data flows. Without software, there is no IT. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists will look at the protocols that communicate data and the emerging data analy...
Sep. 24, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,522
Video experiences should be unique and exciting! But that doesn’t mean you need to patch all the pieces yourself. Users demand rich and engaging experiences and new ways to connect with you. But creating robust video applications at scale can be complicated, time-consuming and expensive. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Zohar Babin, Vice President of Platform, Ecosystem and Community at Kaltura, will discuss how VPaaS enables you to move fast, creating scalable video experiences that reach your...
Sep. 24, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 763
WebRTC adoption has generated a wave of creative uses of communications and collaboration through websites, sales apps, customer care and business applications. As WebRTC has become more mainstream it has evolved to use cases beyond the original peer-to-peer case, which has led to a repeating requirement for interoperability with existing infrastructures. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Graham Holt, Executive Vice President of Daitan Group, will cover implementation examples that have enabled ea...
Sep. 24, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,470