|By Josh Mazgelis||
|June 25, 2014 03:18 PM EDT||
OK, I’m excited. The latest release of Neverfail IT Continuity Architect has landed with some of our most requested features and we just can’t wait for you to try it out for yourselves. When I got walked through a demo of the new features last week I knew this was going to be a big step forward for our new IT business continuity product.
If you’re not already familiar with IT Continuity Architect (sometimes called ITCA or simply “Architect”) then let me tell you briefly what it can do for you. Right from the start, Architect helps you establish exactly what you have in place today for computing infrastructure, applications, and most importantly, Disaster Recovery (DR) solutions for those applications and data. Once you define your Service Level Agreements (SLA) tiers for Recovery Time Objective (RTO) and Recovery Point Objective (RPO) and start assigning protection tiers to your business applications, Architect creates a gap analysis between where you are with DR capabilities and where your SLAs state you want to be. Architect ensures that your IT recovery plans will meet business expectations and highlights any gaps in your protection plan so that they can be addressed quickly. Architect also provide ongoing monitoring of IT continuity, alerting you to changes in the environment, faults in DR implementations, and adherence to availability SLAs. There’s a lot more to it, but that should give you an idea of how IT Continuity Architect helps simplify an otherwise complex and time-consuming assignment.
Now, what is it that changed in this new release? I’m so glad you asked! There’s quite a bit, really, but these are the big things that really got me excited about this release:
- Virtualization platform agnostic deployment and management support
- Architect virtual appliance can now be deployed on any virtualization platform of choice (e.g. Hyper-V, Xen, VirtualBox, etc.) and no longer requires a VMware vCenter Server or VMware vSphere environment for installation. In addition, Architect can now also be managed from a standalone web-browser interface that eliminates the need for it to be accessed as plugin to the VMware vSphere Web Client.
- Role-Based access control
- Architect now supports role-based access controls that include “Administrator” level privileges that allow full access to all operations available within Architect, as well limited “read-only” privileges that enable users to view Architect inventory, configuration, and reports, but prevents them from changing any configuration.
- VMware vSphere thick client support
- In addition to being managed via a plugin to the VMware vSphere Web Client, Architect can now also be managed via a plugin to the traditional VMware vSphere thick client. Or, of course, you can skip the client and use the standalone web-browser interface mentioned above.
- Automatic discovery and tiering of common business services
- Upon deployment, Architect can automatically discover common business services and based on dependency assessment, auto-assign them to Protection Tiers. Application categories such as databases, communication, and web services can be automatically discovered by Architect.
- Linux blueprinting support
- Architect now supports blueprinting of Linux operating systems. A number of Linux platforms have been explicitly tested and certified against Architect. Other Linux platforms are also likely to be discovered and analyzed by Architect, even though they have not been explicitly tested as part of this release.
- Email based Alerts
- Architect now allows alerts generated by its monitoring services to be sent as notifications to configured email addresses. These primarily include alerts associated with any changes in SLA or availability status.
- Scheduling and Email Delivery of Reports
- Architect enables automatic generation of reports pertaining to dashboard summary views, alerts status and protection overview on a scheduled basis to be delivered via email to designated recipients.
- Network traffic accounting
- Architect can now capture and report on network statistics pertaining to incoming and outgoing traffic for all systems that can be successfully blueprinted.
- Inventory support for other non-certified BCDR protection technologies
- Architect now offers partial support for other BCDR protection technology solutions that cannot be automatically detected by its blueprinting process. This allows users to define custom protection technologies associated with these non-certified protection technologies, manually configure protection assessment as appropriate and assign these custom technologies to the respective entities. This allows for a more holistic protection assessment baselining process across the entire Architect discovered inventory.
- Filtering enhancements
- In the Architect Environment list page, users can now selectively filter the inventory list based on protection technology as well as operating system (OS) platform.
- Hidden entities
- Architect allows users to hide entities from the inventory that are not important for assessment of BCDR protection gaps or from an SLA management point of view. Users can also choose to unhide any hidden entities on demand as business needs change.
I’ve talked to a lot of people about IT Continuity Architect and worked on a lot of demos myself as well. These features really are great enhancements to the product. Being able to work independently of a VMware environment and being able to manually define protection types and capabilities for solutions that we don’t yet automatically classify are probably two of the biggest requests, right up there with automatic notifications and scheduled reporting. Whether you’re building DR plans for your own enterprise IT or private cloud, or if you’re providing BC/DR services to your clients or subscribers, Neverfail IT Continuity Architect helps make easy work out of a daunting task. Download a trial and get started today!
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discuss how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. We'll cite examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He'll also highlight how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable...
May. 30, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,067
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device. For more information, please visit https://www.mangoapps.com/.
May. 30, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,132
SYS-CON Events announced today the How to Create Angular 2 Clients for the Cloud Workshop, being held June 7, 2016, in conjunction with 18th Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Angular 2 is a complete re-write of the popular framework AngularJS. Programming in Angular 2 is greatly simplified. Now it’s a component-based well-performing framework. The immersive one-day workshop led by Yakov Fain, a Java Champion and a co-founder of the IT consultancy Farata Systems and...
May. 30, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,116
What a difference a year makes. Organizations aren’t just talking about IoT possibilities, it is now baked into their core business strategy. With IoT, billions of devices generating data from different companies on different networks around the globe need to interact. From efficiency to better customer insights to completely new business models, IoT will turn traditional business models upside down. In the new customer-centric age, the key to success is delivering critical services and apps wit...
May. 30, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,349
Join us at Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo 2016 – June 7-9 at the Javits Center in New York City and November 1-3 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – and deliver your unique message in a way that is striking and unforgettable by taking advantage of SYS-CON's unmatched high-impact, result-driven event / media packages.
May. 30, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,581
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, will provide an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life ...
May. 30, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,069
SYS-CON Events announced today that BMC Software has been named "Siver Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. BMC is a global leader in innovative software solutions that help businesses transform into digital enterprises for the ultimate competitive advantage. BMC Digital Enterprise Management is a set of innovative IT solutions designed to make digital business fast, seamless, and optimized from mainframe to mo...
May. 30, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,391
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MobiDev is a software company that develops and delivers turn-key mobile apps, websites, web services, and complex software systems for startups and enterprises. Since 2009 it has grown from a small group of passionate engineers and business managers to a full-scale mobile software company with over 200 develope...
May. 30, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,840
As cloud and storage projections continue to rise, the number of organizations moving to the cloud is escalating and it is clear cloud storage is here to stay. However, is it secure? Data is the lifeblood for government entities, countries, cloud service providers and enterprises alike and losing or exposing that data can have disastrous results. There are new concepts for data storage on the horizon that will deliver secure solutions for storing and moving sensitive data around the world. ...
May. 30, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,455
SoftLayer operates a global cloud infrastructure platform built for Internet scale. With a global footprint of data centers and network points of presence, SoftLayer provides infrastructure as a service to leading-edge customers ranging from Web startups to global enterprises. SoftLayer's modular architecture, full-featured API, and sophisticated automation provide unparalleled performance and control. Its flexible unified platform seamlessly spans physical and virtual devices linked via a world...
May. 30, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,400
SYS-CON Events announced today that ContentMX, the marketing technology and services company with a singular mission to increase engagement and drive more conversations for enterprise, channel and SMB technology marketers, has been named “Sponsor & Exhibitor Lounge Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York. “CloudExpo is a great opportunity to start a conversation with new prospects, but what happens after the...
May. 30, 2016 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,423
Companies can harness IoT and predictive analytics to sustain business continuity; predict and manage site performance during emergencies; minimize expensive reactive maintenance; and forecast equipment and maintenance budgets and expenditures. Providing cost-effective, uninterrupted service is challenging, particularly for organizations with geographically dispersed operations.
May. 30, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,278
The IoTs will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, will demonstrate how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and share the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the development proc...
May. 30, 2016 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,019
SYS-CON Events announced today TechTarget has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. TechTarget is the Web’s leading destination for serious technology buyers researching and making enterprise technology decisions. Its extensive global networ...
May. 30, 2016 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,315
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management...
May. 30, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,344
The essence of data analysis involves setting up data pipelines that consist of several operations that are chained together – starting from data collection, data quality checks, data integration, data analysis and data visualization (including the setting up of interaction paths in that visualization). In our opinion, the challenges stem from the technology diversity at each stage of the data pipeline as well as the lack of process around the analysis.
May. 30, 2016 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,549
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
May. 30, 2016 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,101
Designing IoT applications is complex, but deploying them in a scalable fashion is even more complex. A scalable, API first IaaS cloud is a good start, but in order to understand the various components specific to deploying IoT applications, one needs to understand the architecture of these applications and figure out how to scale these components independently. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nara Rajagopalan is CEO of Accelerite, will discuss the fundamental architecture of IoT applications, ...
May. 30, 2016 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,406
SYS-CON Events announced today that Tintri Inc., a leading producer of VM-aware storage (VAS) for virtualization and cloud environments, will exhibit at the 18th International CloudExpo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
May. 30, 2016 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,550
SYS-CON Events announced today that Alert Logic, Inc., the leading provider of Security-as-a-Service solutions for the cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Alert Logic, Inc., provides Security-as-a-Service for on-premises, cloud, and hybrid infrastructures, delivering deep security insight and continuous protection for customers at a lower cost than traditional security solutions. Ful...
May. 30, 2016 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,039