|By Josh Mazgelis||
|June 25, 2014 03:18 PM EDT||
OK, I’m excited. The latest release of Neverfail IT Continuity Architect has landed with some of our most requested features and we just can’t wait for you to try it out for yourselves. When I got walked through a demo of the new features last week I knew this was going to be a big step forward for our new IT business continuity product.
If you’re not already familiar with IT Continuity Architect (sometimes called ITCA or simply “Architect”) then let me tell you briefly what it can do for you. Right from the start, Architect helps you establish exactly what you have in place today for computing infrastructure, applications, and most importantly, Disaster Recovery (DR) solutions for those applications and data. Once you define your Service Level Agreements (SLA) tiers for Recovery Time Objective (RTO) and Recovery Point Objective (RPO) and start assigning protection tiers to your business applications, Architect creates a gap analysis between where you are with DR capabilities and where your SLAs state you want to be. Architect ensures that your IT recovery plans will meet business expectations and highlights any gaps in your protection plan so that they can be addressed quickly. Architect also provide ongoing monitoring of IT continuity, alerting you to changes in the environment, faults in DR implementations, and adherence to availability SLAs. There’s a lot more to it, but that should give you an idea of how IT Continuity Architect helps simplify an otherwise complex and time-consuming assignment.
Now, what is it that changed in this new release? I’m so glad you asked! There’s quite a bit, really, but these are the big things that really got me excited about this release:
- Virtualization platform agnostic deployment and management support
- Architect virtual appliance can now be deployed on any virtualization platform of choice (e.g. Hyper-V, Xen, VirtualBox, etc.) and no longer requires a VMware vCenter Server or VMware vSphere environment for installation. In addition, Architect can now also be managed from a standalone web-browser interface that eliminates the need for it to be accessed as plugin to the VMware vSphere Web Client.
- Role-Based access control
- Architect now supports role-based access controls that include “Administrator” level privileges that allow full access to all operations available within Architect, as well limited “read-only” privileges that enable users to view Architect inventory, configuration, and reports, but prevents them from changing any configuration.
- VMware vSphere thick client support
- In addition to being managed via a plugin to the VMware vSphere Web Client, Architect can now also be managed via a plugin to the traditional VMware vSphere thick client. Or, of course, you can skip the client and use the standalone web-browser interface mentioned above.
- Automatic discovery and tiering of common business services
- Upon deployment, Architect can automatically discover common business services and based on dependency assessment, auto-assign them to Protection Tiers. Application categories such as databases, communication, and web services can be automatically discovered by Architect.
- Linux blueprinting support
- Architect now supports blueprinting of Linux operating systems. A number of Linux platforms have been explicitly tested and certified against Architect. Other Linux platforms are also likely to be discovered and analyzed by Architect, even though they have not been explicitly tested as part of this release.
- Email based Alerts
- Architect now allows alerts generated by its monitoring services to be sent as notifications to configured email addresses. These primarily include alerts associated with any changes in SLA or availability status.
- Scheduling and Email Delivery of Reports
- Architect enables automatic generation of reports pertaining to dashboard summary views, alerts status and protection overview on a scheduled basis to be delivered via email to designated recipients.
- Network traffic accounting
- Architect can now capture and report on network statistics pertaining to incoming and outgoing traffic for all systems that can be successfully blueprinted.
- Inventory support for other non-certified BCDR protection technologies
- Architect now offers partial support for other BCDR protection technology solutions that cannot be automatically detected by its blueprinting process. This allows users to define custom protection technologies associated with these non-certified protection technologies, manually configure protection assessment as appropriate and assign these custom technologies to the respective entities. This allows for a more holistic protection assessment baselining process across the entire Architect discovered inventory.
- Filtering enhancements
- In the Architect Environment list page, users can now selectively filter the inventory list based on protection technology as well as operating system (OS) platform.
- Hidden entities
- Architect allows users to hide entities from the inventory that are not important for assessment of BCDR protection gaps or from an SLA management point of view. Users can also choose to unhide any hidden entities on demand as business needs change.
I’ve talked to a lot of people about IT Continuity Architect and worked on a lot of demos myself as well. These features really are great enhancements to the product. Being able to work independently of a VMware environment and being able to manually define protection types and capabilities for solutions that we don’t yet automatically classify are probably two of the biggest requests, right up there with automatic notifications and scheduled reporting. Whether you’re building DR plans for your own enterprise IT or private cloud, or if you’re providing BC/DR services to your clients or subscribers, Neverfail IT Continuity Architect helps make easy work out of a daunting task. Download a trial and get started today!
SYS-CON Events announced today that Infranics will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Since 2000, Infranics has developed SysMaster Suite, which is required for the stable and efficient management of ICT infrastructure. The ICT management solution developed and provided by Infranics continues to add intelligence to the ICT infrastructure through the IMC (Infra Management Cycle) based on mathemat...
Mar. 24, 2017 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,618
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 add...
Mar. 24, 2017 09:30 AM EDT
What sort of WebRTC based applications can we expect to see over the next year and beyond? One way to predict development trends is to see what sorts of applications startups are building. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Arin Sime, founder of WebRTC.ventures, will discuss the current and likely future trends in WebRTC application development based on real requests for custom applications from real customers, as well as other public sources of information,
Mar. 24, 2017 09:17 AM EDT
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudistics, an on-premises cloud computing company, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cloudistics delivers a complete public cloud experience with composable on-premises infrastructures to medium and large enterprises. Its software-defined technology natively converges network, storage, compute, virtualization, and management into a ...
Mar. 24, 2017 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,532
Now that the world has connected “things,” we need to build these devices as truly intelligent in order to create instantaneous and precise results. This means you have to do as much of the processing at the point of entry as you can: at the edge. The killer use cases for IoT are becoming manifest through AI engines on edge devices. An autonomous car has this dual edge/cloud analytics model, producing precise, real-time results. In his session at @ThingsExpo, John Crupi, Vice President and Eng...
Mar. 24, 2017 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,581
In the enterprise today, connected IoT devices are everywhere – both inside and outside corporate environments. The need to identify, manage, control and secure a quickly growing web of connections and outside devices is making the already challenging task of security even more important, and onerous. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Rich Boyer, CISO and Chief Architect for Security at NTT i3, will discuss new ways of thinking and the approaches needed to address the emerging challenges of securit...
Mar. 24, 2017 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 4,187
The taxi industry never saw Uber coming. Startups are a threat to incumbents like never before, and a major enabler for startups is that they are instantly “cloud ready.” If innovation moves at the pace of IT, then your company is in trouble. Why? Because your data center will not keep up with frenetic pace AWS, Microsoft and Google are rolling out new capabilities In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Don Browning, VP of Cloud Architecture at Turner, will posit that disruption is inevitable for c...
Mar. 24, 2017 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,834
SYS-CON Events announced today that Loom Systems will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Founded in 2015, Loom Systems delivers an advanced AI solution to predict and prevent problems in the digital business. Loom stands alone in the industry as an AI analysis platform requiring no prior math knowledge from operators, leveraging the existing staff to succeed in the digital era. With offices in S...
Mar. 24, 2017 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 796
There are 66 million network cameras capturing terabytes of data. How did factories in Japan improve physical security at the facilities and improve employee productivity? Edge Computing reduces possible kilobytes of data collected per second to only a few kilobytes of data transmitted to the public cloud every day. Data is aggregated and analyzed close to sensors so only intelligent results need to be transmitted to the cloud. Non-essential data is recycled to optimize storage.
Mar. 24, 2017 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,816
As businesses adopt functionalities in cloud computing, it’s imperative that IT operations consistently ensure cloud systems work correctly – all of the time, and to their best capabilities. In his session at @BigDataExpo, Bernd Harzog, CEO and founder of OpsDataStore, will present an industry answer to the common question, “Are you running IT operations as efficiently and as cost effectively as you need to?” He will expound on the industry issues he frequently came up against as an analyst, and...
Mar. 24, 2017 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,919
In his General Session at 16th Cloud Expo, David Shacochis, host of The Hybrid IT Files podcast and Vice President at CenturyLink, investigated three key trends of the “gigabit economy" though the story of a Fortune 500 communications company in transformation. Narrating how multi-modal hybrid IT, service automation, and agile delivery all intersect, he will cover the role of storytelling and empathy in achieving strategic alignment between the enterprise and its information technology.
Mar. 24, 2017 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 7,257
"I think that everyone recognizes that for IoT to really realize its full potential and value that it is about creating ecosystems and marketplaces and that no single vendor is able to support what is required," explained Esmeralda Swartz, VP, Marketing Enterprise and Cloud at Ericsson, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Mar. 24, 2017 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,843
Microservices are a very exciting architectural approach that many organizations are looking to as a way to accelerate innovation. Microservices promise to allow teams to move away from monolithic "ball of mud" systems, but the reality is that, in the vast majority of organizations, different projects and technologies will continue to be developed at different speeds. How to handle the dependencies between these disparate systems with different iteration cycles? Consider the "canoncial problem" ...
Mar. 24, 2017 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 8,387
SYS-CON Events announced today that HTBase will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. HTBase (Gartner 2016 Cool Vendor) delivers a Composable IT infrastructure solution architected for agility and increased efficiency. It turns compute, storage, and fabric into fluid pools of resources that are easily composed and re-composed to meet each application’s needs. With HTBase, companies can quickly prov...
Mar. 24, 2017 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,524
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Mar. 24, 2017 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,175
Keeping pace with advancements in software delivery processes and tooling is taxing even for the most proficient organizations. Point tools, platforms, open source and the increasing adoption of private and public cloud services requires strong engineering rigor - all in the face of developer demands to use the tools of choice. As Agile has settled in as a mainstream practice, now DevOps has emerged as the next wave to improve software delivery speed and output. To make DevOps work, organization...
Mar. 24, 2017 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,261
China Unicom exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which took place at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, in November 2016. China United Network Communications Group Co. Ltd ("China Unicom") was officially established in 2009 on the basis of the merger of former China Netcom and former China Unicom. China Unicom mainly operates a full range of telecommunications services including mobile broadband (GSM, WCDMA, LTE FDD, TD-LTE), fixed-line broadband, ICT, data communica...
Mar. 24, 2017 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,199
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CA Technologies helps customers succeed in a future where every business – from apparel to energy – is being rewritten by software. From ...
Mar. 24, 2017 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,296
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev, a client-oriented software development company, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MobiDev is a software company that develops and delivers turn-key mobile apps, websites, web services, and complex softw...
Mar. 24, 2017 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,521
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloud Academy will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cloud Academy is the industry’s most innovative, vendor-neutral cloud technology training platform. Cloud Academy provides continuous learning solutions for individuals and enterprise teams for Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform, and the most popular cloud computing technologies. Ge...
Mar. 23, 2017 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 4,393